Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Stop! Walk Away from the Loom.....

Don't you just hate it when despite your best efforts, double checking tie-ups and weft order numerous times, a pattern doesn't work out? That's what happened to me yesterday. I suspect the pattern I am using out of Anne Dixon's newish book, "The Handweaver's Pattern Directory" has a mistake. There is no errata listed for this pattern. I called Interweave and e-mailed them the appropriate info and got the usual, we'll get back to you. Since I don't have months to wait, I will sit down with graph paper and pencil and see if I can figure out what I need to do. For those curious it is the center pattern in turquoise and tan on page 237. Of course me figuring out the error, either on my part or theirs might take months too. My drafting skills are poor and I have no nifty computer program. This is a good opportunity to improve them though. Yesterday I was just too frustrated to deal with it.  I had to retie up Barbara which, as always, is one of those grump producing tasks even if much easier with the texsolv. And then there was all the help. Rodger in typical feline manner decided that I must be on my back, twisted on the floor, solely for the purpose of petting him. Cat owners, you ALL know what it's like to have someone stick their tail in your face. Smoochie felt I must be there because I needed my face washed and he was happy to oblige. Oh to have a room where everyone can be on the other side of the door!  So after sampling again and trying a couple of things I was no closer to a solution, I decided to walk away from the loom for the day. Today I'll waste virtual yarn on my paper draft instead of on the warp. I did however have someone to confer with. He was quite concerned that I was sitting there doing nothing and came over to commiserate with me. 
Dandy's saddle blanket did come out wonderfully and worse case frustration level, I'll go back to the original pattern for Cooper's. 

No comments: