|The right hat is my 30 + year old original Tilley|
The whole gamut of inclement weather. Wind, pelting rain, pelting hail, slushy snow, fog, more fog. And temps sitting just around the freezing mark, a smidge higher in the afternoon. Mind you I am grateful for this late season abundance of moisture, but to work outside in it tending animals, you have to have the correct gear. A good hat, a good cowl as scarves are too dangerous IMHO working around machinery and large animals, good waterproof and warm boots (Muck Arctic Tall) and a warm coat with lots of pockets. I have yet to find a truly decent pair of women's winter work gloves. It is the holy grail of barn gear, a glove that is warm, waterproof, fits well and isn't so bulky to render actually working in them useless. Add to that it must be reasonably priced and sturdy. Yep, good luck with that one. Maybe Tilley should turn towards glove making?
I haven't been out in the cold so much this weekend that nothing got done though! A new warp went on Buttercup. I am using a draft from Handwoven March/April 2002 titled the "One Day Rug".
Of course I am considering these the "Multi-Day Placemats". I put 6 yards on for hopefully 6-8 mats. The bulky yarns will likely take up more than I expect.
I was able to stream line warping the Triple B. The raddle is on top (those treadle boxes come in handy for all sorts of things), and she is tall enough that I can use that castle much like a warping valet since the human one was nowhere to be found.
|Bottle of H2O hanging over the breast beam|
I've started threading and it will go quickly since it is only 10epi and 15 inches wide. Some modifications were made to Buttercup. I wanted to be able to remove the breast beam WITHOUT having to unbolt it, so copied the Louet way of attaching the BB.
Buttercups beam is very heavy and the weight alone keeps it easily in place. The two little holes Gene drilled in the top are now covered with a pair of cute wooden buttons I had saved up in the sewing salon.
Now I only need to figure out a way to easily remove the beater.
A little cart was purchased for Studio NW there in the back room. It was the only one I could find tall enough to accommodate weaving at Buttercup.
It's really a microwave cart but pretty nicely done and sturdy. The Macomber has been moved in there.
I have Nick up for sale in prep for a 56" Macomber coming in June.
|Big spaces in prep for big looms!|
There has been little interest in this wonderful loom and I have to admit I am of a mind to keep him. We're rather fond of each other and he fits in with Buttercup beautifully. Two hefty peas in a pod!
In the sewing salon some cutting was done over the weekend and I did the tunic version of the Teddy Top by Style Arc complete with the new sleeve.
I like it! I have to say this style of collar is PERFECT for riding on sunny days. Even with a helmet, the back of my neck gets toasty. This vampire collar is a good solution. I need to make a couple more in slobber colors or something bright and busy for riding gear.
Of course the 1.5 yards of adorable hedgehog fabric worked perfectly for a second short Teddy top.
This WON'T b used for riding. Pink is not slobber proof and the print is just too cute for barn wear.
In honor of good hats everywhere, I leave you with some Joe Cocker.
Parting shot: Pogo in one of his rare appearances out with the rest of us.