Monday, April 30, 2018

Wet Weather Gear

In true Oregonian fashion, I don't own an umbrella. I had one once, a stiff wind on a rainy day rendered it useless and that was the first and last one I ever owned. Then I was given a Tilley Hat and it has been my go to for wet weather ever since. I have two of them hanging in the house waiting to cover me in case of rain, snow or blazing sun

The right hat is my 30 + year old original Tilley
 and two in the car, one for me, one for a passenger should the need arise. It can be crushed, washed and endlessly adjusted. It comes with a lifetime warranty. It is simply the best damn hat I have ever owned and it has gotten a lot of use this weekend. We have had miserable cold and wet days since Friday.



The whole gamut of inclement weather. Wind, pelting rain, pelting hail, slushy snow, fog, more fog. And temps sitting just around the freezing mark, a smidge higher in the afternoon. Mind you I am grateful for this late season abundance of moisture, but to work outside in it tending animals, you have to have the correct gear. A good hat, a good cowl as scarves are too dangerous IMHO working around machinery and large animals, good waterproof and warm boots (Muck Arctic Tall) and a warm coat with lots of pockets. I have yet to find a truly decent pair of women's winter work gloves. It is the holy grail of barn gear, a glove that is warm, waterproof, fits well and isn't so bulky to render actually working in them useless. Add to that it must be reasonably priced and sturdy. Yep, good luck with that one. Maybe Tilley should turn towards glove making?

I haven't been out in the cold so much this weekend that nothing got done though! A new warp went on Buttercup. I am using a draft from Handwoven March/April 2002 titled the "One Day Rug".



 Of course I am considering these the "Multi-Day Placemats".  I put 6 yards on for hopefully 6-8 mats. The bulky yarns will likely take up more than I expect.



 I was able to stream line warping the Triple B. The raddle is on top (those treadle boxes come in handy for all sorts of things), and she is tall enough that I can use that castle much like a warping valet since the human one was nowhere to be found.

Bottle of H2O hanging over the breast beam

 I've started threading and it will go quickly since it is only 10epi and 15 inches wide. Some modifications were made to Buttercup. I wanted to be able to remove the breast beam WITHOUT having to unbolt it, so copied the Louet way of attaching the BB.





 Buttercups beam is very heavy and the weight alone keeps it easily in place. The two little holes Gene drilled in the top are now covered with a pair of cute wooden buttons I had saved up in the sewing salon.



Now I only need to figure out a way to easily remove the beater.

A little cart was purchased for Studio NW there in the back room. It was the only one I could find tall enough to accommodate weaving at Buttercup.



 It's really a microwave cart but pretty nicely done and sturdy. The Macomber has been moved in there.




 I have Nick up for sale in prep for a 56" Macomber coming in June.

Big spaces in prep for big looms!

 There has been little interest in this wonderful loom and I have to admit I am of a mind to keep him. We're rather fond of each other and he fits in with Buttercup beautifully. Two hefty peas in a pod!

In the sewing salon some cutting was done over the weekend and I did the tunic version of the Teddy Top by Style Arc complete with the new sleeve.



 I like it! I have to say this style of collar is PERFECT for riding on sunny days. Even with a helmet, the back of my neck gets toasty. This vampire collar is a good solution. I need to make a couple more in slobber colors or something bright and busy for riding gear.

Of course the 1.5 yards of adorable hedgehog fabric worked perfectly for a second short Teddy top.



This WON'T b used for riding. Pink is not slobber proof and the print is just too cute for barn wear.

In honor of good hats everywhere, I leave you with some Joe Cocker.

Parting shot: Pogo in one of his rare appearances out with the rest of us.

10 comments:

Cindie said...

I convinced Sam to buy a Tilley years ago - he loves it.

LA said...

Buttercup is the perfect loom for that warp! I do-so LOVE weaving log cabin! Great tops for the new season (if it ever comes!)

The socklady said...

I also have two, a blue and a natural color, my blue version spent an entire winter outdoors buried under many feet of snow. It had blown off the branch I had hung it and then half way up the tree, couldn't reach it so left it figuring eventually it would come down. After spring arrived found it brought it in, washed it and almost as good as new, faded a bit after being outdoors for almost 6 months.

Peg Cherre said...

Wow - I guess I need to buy a Tilly. I have to get serious about sun protection, which I've never done before. So for you Tilly owners...do you have a 'regular' or an airflo? Broad brim? Give me details!

I do love Joe Cocker, and the live version of almost any song by almost any performer. Thanks for that one.

Theresa said...

Peg, I like the classic hat myself. The T 5 medium brim duck hat. They have so many now! Wow! Of course if just for summer wear, then of course, an Airflow.

Lynne, Kind of like Timex watches use to be. Can't kill them.

LA, Buttercup is a fun loom for the log cabin and it is weaving up beautifully.

Cindie, How could one not love their Tilley!

Susan said...

That Buttercup is quite the looker! Thanks for the hat information - I have been on the lookout for a good spring/summer/fall hat and this sounds like just the ticket.

Mary said...

The Teddy tops are fantastic! Love the hedgehogs and it's coral pink...a much underrated color. I am going to put it on my wishlist, as I cover up as much as I can.

lilibet21 said...

Love that Style Arc pattern & the bird on a line fabric. You always find the cutest fabrics! Great modification to tje loom adding those pegs. I wish I was skilled in woodwork.I am very lucky to have acgood friend ,Jim who is though. We sometimes barter items . The recent exchange was some felled Alder logs for a beautiful Marudai he made.

Maggie said...

Did you have trouble with the collar on the Teddy top? Mine is too big for the neckline and I haven’t figured out how to fix it yet.

Theresa said...

Maggie, I haven't, but if it is too long I just ride the ends down into the center seam. The Teddy was a nested pattern with multiple sizes, you could try to go down a size on the collar, or do a good measurement of the neck and take tucks in the collar pattern at center and one at each side, then redraft a new collar pattern piece using tissue or scrap fabric.

Elizabeth, That bird fabric was a local find, at a quilting shop in Medford. I loved it myself. Oh, a handmade Marudai sounds exciting!