Tuesday, April 17, 2018

Persistence Sometimes Pays

You know, "If first you don't succeed, try, try again." I wasn't ready to ditch the StyleArc Teddy top. That nifty almost Lady Dracula collar kept calling to me. The perfect combination of close, cold  blocking back collar combined with plunging, kind of sexy, front collar.



So, I took that pattern and decided if I was going to frankenpattern it I was going to do it with something that would take a sleeve or not. In other words, my MUCH used Grainline Scout Tee TNT pattern. Now All this fabric is scrap, leftovers, not quite enough for any one thing, but between the two, the black matalisse tip fabric and the silk/hemp blend, I eeked out a top without the cruddy looking cut on sleeve and the pattern is also ready for short, 3/4 or long sleeves.

Showing off the hem facing.
 It's fun, it's swingy, it would look great in a black charmeuse with a bright red inner collar for Halloween! ;-) There will be more.

I don't have pics, but I also revisited an old TNT pants pattern, The Sewing Workshop trio pants. I had to cut them down a couple of sizes from the last time I made them and the pair came out great. They are in the wash right now after being worn but I'll catch them for a quick photo for the next post. The print is fun.

I made another Tania Tabard.



The lined cross piece ended up being too heavy for this whisper weight Japanese linen so I did a little fixed "front only" twisted belt. Worked well and gave that nod to the twisted sash. A cool and elegant summer top paired with black or natural colored pants.

The Triple B did indeed get her little 15" cotton rug warp on. I found I can step in from the side and sit on the front beam while I thread.....



There were only 150 ends so it was pretty quick. Hopefully Buttercup will be weaving by the weekend.

The Bumblebee warp of 8 towels came off Ziva David too. They are washed and awaiting hemming.



Just an additional weaving note. I have decided to sell the JK Seidel Scandinavian Band loom.If anyone is interested, contact me.
Figured maple and cherry

A couple of weeks ago we installed a new bed. I loved the old painted headboard but the frame it was attached to was really starting to give out. It was an inexpensive futon bed frame years ago. We cut and modified it freely over the years to take the hand painted head and foot board doors and it was getting wobbly. I ordered new frame from Delia Furniture on Etsy, asked specifically for a lighter wood, Beech or Birch ( it is Beech!), and got just what I wanted.




The old headboard will be hung like we did with the footboard. You'll see.



Today is  National Bat Appreciation Day and in honor of that I'll leave you with a little song by Pete Seeger, a favorite of mine.

Parting shot: Protection, of a sort....  ;-)

7 comments:

Michelle said...

So many pretty pictures from your world! And wow; down two sizes?!? Go, YOU.

Martha said...

You have been sew busy! I too love that dracula collar. Your work, as always, inspires me to sew even more.

LA said...

Congrats on the size reduction!!!! I guess you'll be REAL busy in the sewing studio, now! BTW, I listened to the Judy Collins/Muppets version also....COOL!!!

Peg Cherre said...

SO impressed you're down 2 sizes!!!
That collar looks great in black and chartreuse.
Didn't know that bat song, but how old was Pete in that photo? 20s? 30s? I am sad at the current state of the little brown bats in the northeast...so many dead from white nose fungus. They are needed!

Susan said...

Do you have a wing of closets? It will be so lovely to work with Buttercup - what a beautiful loom! And, huzzah on the reduction! I need to get myself in gear before spring - which will arrive for a week in May, followed closely by summer. Terriers are so awesome...

Theresa said...

Susan, I rotate the closet contents seasonally and move stuff on regularly. I only have a free standing wardrobe. Terriers are..busy!

Peg, Me too, some diet changes have made quite a difference and the 2-3 daily walks help. The white nose fungus has been moving westward, I think it has been found in CA or WA bats, maybe OR too. Sad.

LA, I saw the muppets version too! Fun huh?

Martha, it's a bit fussy but it really is a flattering collar.

Michelle, NOW if I could only find the right combo of good weather and time to ride my pudgy pony! Soon.

Mary said...

That is a great looking collar-and all your other projects are lovely! Love the hanging bat.