Saturday, September 15, 2018

Upgrading and Downgrading

Fanny Justine got an upgrade. I will admit it took Gene and I a week or so to get on the same page, a few heated discussions on attachment options and picking which enamel color to paint it. Blue or red.



You can see here which one won. Say that 3 times fast. It will get the full monty of decorative painting because that pleases me and as was my winning argument, I'm the one using it. So there! ;-)

I just didn't want to drill any attachment holes in the uprights. I could see it going horribly wrong with a crack. Other options looked like Rube Goldberg had drafted them. Plus Rube...ah Gene never would have gotten to all that woodworking. This option was simple and easy and completely removable with no modifications needed to the loom itself.



Best part, it's done!

You can also see that threading is going at a painfully slow pace. I am not a fast threader. I am not fast when it comes to anything in weaving. But I am pretty fast in the sewing department.

Another scrub made it out for another tech.



She had requested forest green. Let me tell you, there are some colors that are just a bugger to find with nice prints. Forest green is one of them.



Surprisingly, purple in adult prints and such is another. Of course I could give them the "My Pony with the rainbow coming out of its butt".but I'd save that one for myself! And really, shouldn't it be dollar bills instead of rainbows they are pooping anyway?

I finally broke down and purchased a weaving book I had been coveting for a while now.





 I figured I better get it before it goes out of print and is listed for hundreds of dollars. It is a lovely book, a reading book about the history of Finnish American rag rug weaving.



 More inspiration than drafts and I am pleased to add it to my weaving library. So few weaving books are published these days and for the most part, are beginner geared and often, uninspiring.

Okay, we've covered upgrades and might as well get to the downgrades. Some of you have asked about my Mother. There were no tests for the summer, she finished chemo end of May, beginning of June and all appropriate tests and such scheduled for 3 months out. The long and short of it, is the cancer has come back in her left kidney. Her right kidney is compromised with a stone, her function overall is 50% or a little worse. She has 3 options, none will offer more than maybe a few months respite. Option 3, is to do nothing other than put a kidney stent in and hopefully help it function better for a short time. Option 2 is to stent and do targeted radiation, knocking back the growth for a little while. Option 1 was to do stent and chemo. We have opted for door #2. Now some of you know my mother suffers from mild dementia. She refuses to talk about end of life care (and every time I bring up the subject I get snapped at that I am just wanting her to die faster).  Sigh. She really believes because she feels fine she is fine. After all, her hair is growing back so how bad can it be? So, we steer the ship as best we can and spend another fall, with my last parent, dying of cancer. And you thought only March had Ides!

I'll leave you with Green Day, best I can do today.

Parting shot: Therapy Dogs.

20 comments:

Theresa said...

Really, I promise something less depressing for a song at least next post!

Valerie said...

I'm sorry about your Mom, Theresa.

I hear you on the forest green....some colors just go in and out availability. Just scrounged around to find some forest green yarn to use as a weft. Everything was either teal like or army greenish.

Love that book...and it's Michigan roots ;)

Peg Cherre said...

First off, sorry to hear about your mom. It's a horrible position to be in, having to make those decisions with/for a woman who can't always think clearly and refuses to discuss the long-ish term. I don't remember - is she still living alone?

Next - LOVE that shot of the therapy dogs.

Finally - so that castle is held on with velcro straps? That's the best I can figure from the pix. Did you put some type of bumpers/pad behind it so it doesn't bounce with every beat? You and Gene are very clever.

Theresa said...

It's a wonderful book and I am so glad I got it.
Maybe forest green will come into fashion next year!

Theresa said...

She does live alone but the main manor has every conceivable perk to make it easy. She will likely go into their care center once hospice is needed.

The shelf is held with nylon strapping, sewn one end to slip over the uprights, the other end is screwed into the wood. There is an inch by inch block of wood that holds the shelf out so it doesn't interfere with the CB dowels. Think of the tray the old cigarette girls use to carry.....

Tobie said...

So sorry to hear about your mom.

I am fine and healthy now but my daughter in law and I have been talking about my plans. My son can't do it but my dil says they will do whatever I want. Very dear person.

Michelle said...

With that much therapy I feel better about your mental state, in spite of your mother's. ;-) I still have a mess of wrought-up feelings about my dad's last year and passing; I doubt they will ever go away completely. HUGS.

LA said...

I really love seeing how folks engineer a solution to their challenge...your box solves the problem! Sorry about your Mom....it's tough when you have to engage in those emotional discussions. You have a wonderful support group, though. Hugs!

Susan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Susan said...

Fercryinoutloud. I hate autocorrect. I love that scrub, as forest green is one of my favorite greens. Not, however, with unicorns, no matter where the rainbow is placed. My heart goes out to you and your mom. It’s hard to be the parent to your parent. Like LA says, you have a strong support group - we’re here whenever you need us. xo

Theresa said...

I saw both and I know exactly what you mean. autocorrect is the devils spawn! When did it change from a nice little spell checking suggestion?!
Thank you (and everyone else) for the generous support. X & O's right back and some extras for the Houdini Pat.

Theresa said...

We had ...fun.. in a strange sort of way solving some problems with the CB functions of this loom. I do have a wonderful support group don't I?!

Theresa said...

Good to hear Tobie! Stay well!

Theresa said...

I'm not even going to contemplate my mental state at the moment. Weaving, sewing and critters are all a sweet salve to difficult times, as are good friends, near and far!

Peg Cherre said...

O.M.G! There's a whole generation - or 2 - that never heard of the cigarette girls and their trays. Love the visual.

Theresa said...

Maybe even 3 generations, but there they are, in many old movies! :)

Leigh said...

Late to the party as usual. I'm really sorry to hear your mom's news. That's hard. More for you than for her I suspect.

Your search for green reminds me of my search for "normal" Christmas fabric for the last couple years. What happened to them??? They turned all lime or some weird majenta. Sigh.

Clever solution for your loom. And it looks like you've got therapy dogs able to go in shifts as needed.

Sharon said...

I like Green Day, I like that whole album - not depressing. I’m sure sorry about your mom - dang. And I guess I never realized that you were making scrubs for others. I couldn’t figure out what you could possibly do with all those tops and figured you must have a huge closet. Now I realize that the scrubs look like scrubs because that’s what they are = very cute. It’ll bring personality and attitude into a sterile environment. Oh, and I have that book too. I bought it years ago when I first started weaving and read it cover to cover.

Theresa said...

Maybe this year there is some traditional rich colored holiday fabric! The castle shelf has been "Buttercupped". Pics next post. I obviously need a fat amount of therapy, so good thing I have an abundance of choices. ;-)

Theresa said...

I consider my sewing a creative endeavor. Would you limit a painter to one canvas, a sculptor to one statue? Of course not! ;)