Saturday, August 18, 2018

Purloined Berries, Shirt Throw down & The Queen of Soul

So, I planted a couple of thornless blackberries in a big wine barrel on the deck and they have been steadily growing wondrous sweet berries. They were almost ready, almost and then..gone!
A couple of nights ago, a planter was toppled, scuffling on the deck and lots of chattering. The raccoon babies had purloined my berries!!! Imagine that?  Every single one of them beautifully picked. :-) Oh well, I can live with that. In this dry smokey summer I'm betting these were a treat for the little scamps and who am I to grumble. I eat well and have berries aplenty in the fridge.

I'm just about finished with the last button down shirt pattern The Liesl & Co Classic Shirt. It's an okay pattern, well drafted but I find, even with the (overly) large dart, to be square and shapeless. I dislike the collar build and I find both collar and stand need some substantial trimming.



I want my collars and stands lot be ike a button down collar shirt has, small. This is not. I also think the yoke construction clunky. Now it is sized nicely and does offer different cup sizes. I like theback pleat on each side as much as the typical center pleat on most classic mens type shirt patterns. Out of the 3 it is my least favorite due to construction methods and overall sack like shaping.

To remind you ,the next shirt is the StyleArc Phoebe shirt. I loved the construction of this shirt. Fast, easy and a great petite RTW type collar.



 It has a dart (small), and allows for some shaping on the top half, a pretty hidden placket and then we get to the overworked and difficult to follow directions for the cuff. DON'T BOTHER. This would be much better with a classic drafted cuff or, if you want to change it up a bit, just lengthen the sleeve  and gather it into a bias binding for a pretty feminine touch. It's a pretty sleeve but I ding his pattern for the dropped shoulder fit. I know this is supposed to be a men's fit, but I really want my shoulders to fit well.

Lastly, the favorite of the bunch is the Hey June Cheyenne Shirt & Tunic. This has a wonderful fit through the shoulders and even without darts, great shaping.



It offers two distinct looks. I don't like the sewn on placket. I just cut extra width when I cut out my fronts and fold. I also slimmed down the stand and collar. It goes together easily, the sleeve set in on the flat, a full and pretty one too I might add, the collar directions good and the yoke burrito style. I will use this pattern as my base pattern for all things collared and button down.

In other sewing, the first of the adjusted and sized scrubs is done.



I had a request for something in pink and so here it is. This fabric wasn't my favorite on the bolt but I think it is the perfect pink scrub top and will look lovely on the tech it is meant for.



Lastly, Aretha Franklin. What an amazing woman and probably one of the most glorious voices I'll ever hear. I grew up on her music, along with many others, I have a number of her CDs, one of the few artists I changed from vinyl to tape to CD. I think everyone has a favorite Aretha song, I'll share a couple of mine. You've already had Chain of Fools from the movie Michael and a second favorite Think, comes from another much enjoyed movie, The Blues Brothers. Lastly, one that always gets me moving, Spanish Harlem. 

Parting shots: Props!





10 comments:

Theresa said...

First up!

LA said...

I seem to be a little more difficult to fit than I did when I was younger!!!! LOL Finding just the right pattern gets harder and harder. I saw my raccoons waddling down the driveway the other night....what a sight!

Theresa said...

Me too! I think you'll like the Hey June for a classic shirt pattern and I still LOVE the Jalie Rose for a sleeveless shirt. Of course those mostly adorable bandits don't need any such thing. They are built strangely though....

Peg Cherre said...

Is there anyone who DOESN'T love Aretha?? That woman was amazing! I had the pleasure of seeing her live several years ago. :-)

Personally, I like the pink & coral scrub top. Didn't realize you sewed for others, too....I really do need to make a trip out west. ;-)

And that little dog setting herself up for an armchair pillow is just too cute.

Theresa said...

Oh lucky you! I had never seen AF in person.
Usually I don't sew for others but I loved this Jalie pattern so much when it came out, someone had to benefit by it! Mandy is quite photogenic, almost as much as the Divine Miss Stella, the Queen of Balls! ;->

Martha said...

Lovely makes, all. I agree with you in your preferences for classic women's shirts, even if we borrow some ideas from men's shirts. My last good one was the Grainline Archer. Have you tried that one?

Susan said...

I never knew what it was called, until I started reading your blog - the stand! I dislike a high stand and big collar; it makes me feel like my head is resting on an iron ring. I think the Hey June shirt best, myself. Oh, that Mandykins, what a cutie. Aretha was and is my sing along at the top of your lungs favorite. No one could touch her.

Theresa said...

Hi Martha, Thank you for stopping by! I have tried the Archer and it was an abysmal fit on me. At the time I had no burning desire for a button down so, jettisoned it.

Theresa said...

Well, there ya go! :-) The Mandykins is certainly adorable to those that live here, to others, a sneaky, snarky little nipper if ever there was one. I had the Queen of Soul on the player all weekend. I will admit to being a bit hoarse today.

Leigh said...

I bought two plants of the raspberries that are thornless and clumping. Made the mistake of planting them in the back yard. The corgis surf them, examining every berry and eating it the second it is ripe. Since they check the berry bushes3-7 times a day, I rarely get even one raspberry. Since they sortof run a bit (expanding clump?) I think I'll put the extras in a bed that isn't in the back yard. Then I might get a few. probably our neighborhood raccoons will get those.
Love the shirts! I'll have to try that Hey June Shirt. Looks like a winner.
Mandy is adorable. She looks very happy.