Friday, August 31, 2018

Funeral Friday, Tears, Taps and Pink Cadillacs

If you want to sob and dance on the same day, this one might be just perfect. I haven't been able to watch much of the memorials for John S. McCain. Seeing Meaghan McCain sobbing at the first one in AZ. brought back every single awful emotion of losing my own Dad not quite 2 years ago. I know how she feels and I think I was sobbing for both of us, all of us, who have lost a much loved (and missed), father. I also sob because it feels like being abandoned or left with the evil step-father. In this case, being left with both a criminal president and Republican congress, with no voice, no one to speak up in authority to keep us safe. Certainly sob worthy. VOTE!

And then there is Detroit, turning out in pink Cadillacs and foot tapping music. The sounds of celebration of a different kind of gift given to our country and this world. What a flipping day. What a line of pink Cadillacs!

I'm thinking the two of them are up there somewhere sharing a few words. Ah to be a fly. Do you think there are flies in heaven? I sure hope so.

And that brings me to a sort of unproductive week. Lots of things got cut.





I decided I wanted more button down shirts of both long sleeved and sleeveless varieties. I cut out 3 each of the Jalie Rose for wear with cardigans come fall and winter and 3 Hey June Cheyenne Shirts. The test run Kimono jacket got cut out too in a pale blue linen that I wasn't in love with. I needed a certain amount of drape to give this pattern (Kimono Encore, a Lois Erikson Design & Sew),  long out of print, a fair shake. These Erikson patterns can go horribly wrong for me so best use a fabric I didn't much care for.

I'm sorry to say my last scrub was a bit too narrow in the shoulders for it's wearer, so with some adjustments and a fresh piece of fabric, we are ready to start in anew. They are saving it to give to the next small tech or receptionist that should start at the clinic. It's all good and I like making these. I'm getting pretty darn fast at them too!

And speaking of fabric, sometimes I really go off the rails with my purchases. I see so much cute stuff and I am weak. Very weak, especially when it comes to foxes or remembered stories from my childhood. So, these have graced my sewing room. A panel to make a small soft book of "The Little Prince"



 another book panel of farm animals and their sounds.



 A large center panel of camping forest critters



 and lastly Freya & Friends Dollhouse.



 Blame that one on the little Jack Russell Terrier "Fred".
The book is so cute, who wouldn't want a little quilted dollhouse and figures! ;-)

Precious little weaving has gone on. But on the Louet David Ziva, these practical brown towels weave on.



I like the white very much for weft and the stripes are actually a deep forest green.

A simple bleached white warp is almost done for Fanny Justine. This is what I hope they will look like when woven!



Speaking of Fanny, I had to take her apart again and we moved her down to the studio.



St. Nick the Macomber will be leaving for his new home sooner than expected. Rather than get Miss Fanny J warped upstairs, it was easier to crowd her in for a few days. She looks quite lovely under the lights!



Mandy had a vet appointment Tuesday. She has some skin bumps and lumps and such that we decided really should come off. A teeth cleaning too. We'll run my vet bill up in October as September is dental month at the vet's and they are very busy with dogs that need dental attention much greater than hers. She's fine with waiting!

So, the song for the day is of course Freeway of Love!

Parting shot: Oh Dear, an unfortunate flop of the ear!


8 comments:

Theresa said...

Tag, you're it!

LA said...

I love hearing all the stories that are being told....for John and Aretha. There's a common thread, I've noticed: doing great things for the less among us.

Theresa said...

Me too, although I think many of the JM will have to wait until I can enjoy them without tears and Kleenex. I love seeing the celebrations at AF funeral. I think all funerals should have good music! :-)

Peg Cherre said...

I LOVE Le Peitit Prince! Those illustrations have stuck with me for decades. Surely both John and Aretha ended up in the same place, wherever/whatever that is. Will they both be similarly open to conversation?

Cindie said...

Don't we all wish more politicians could be like John McCain. I may not have always agreed with his politics but I always felt like he was doing what he thought was best for our country and all people - not what was best for just one party, himself and special interest groups.

Theresa said...

Oh Peg, I'm sure they are having a rousing conversation. Both cosmopolitan, both loved family and both knew that you could disagree with someone without them being an enemy.

Theresa said...

It will be interesting to see if anyone picks up McCain's gauntlet. There has been talk of Ben Sasse and maybe there are some other coming up GOP'ers who would rather embrace a JSM vision as opposed to an orange asshat's one.

Diane in Oregon said...

We can only hope! (That someone picks up the gauntlet).

I love those soft book panels - can you name a source? I have some distant grand-nephews...