Friday, June 15, 2018

Mongo Has Arrived

And he's big and travels with a HUGE accessory entourage! The Loom Sherpa spent about 20 hours this week, picking up a van, driving hours down to the San Francisco Bay area and back to chauffeur Mongo home, and then another couple of hours on the van return.



Mongo himself has 23 treadles, 16 shafts, 4 beams of two different configurations, 4 reeds, lights fore and aft and some serious attitude. At a 56 inch weaving width (70" overall) he commands attention in the studio. It doesn't help that parts are strewn all over the floor and such right now. This weekend I'll work on getting him together. I probably won't hang all 16 shafts, maybe get to know each other with something in 8 shafts to start with. He's going to need a bench too so I'm on the lookout for a nice used adjustable one. I love my Schacht bench and he and Nick might have to share for a bit. I'm wondering if it is worth it to put the two Macs in the studio together with the fronts facing each other, that way I can just scoot the bench a few feet from one loom to another.

As you can see the dogs are terribly excited about a new loom. Gene looked about the same.... ;-)



Besides loom pick up there has been a bit of weaving on various warps and very little sewing. I had a pattern on the table that I was avoiding because I neither liked the fabric nor the pattern and finally made the decision to shelve the whole project and start in on something I was excited about! I have new patterns to share.





The Merchant & Mills Francine is already cut out and a light blue linen has been pulled for a test run.



I have some bright white cotton poplin for the Style Arc Phoebe shirt and a natural and white linen mix for the Jodie pinafore. I can see this being a nice pattern for winter done in a snug wool or corduroy with a long sleeve blouse underneath. I have many choices for the Cashmerette pattern, some lightweight cottons that have been marinating far too long.

I simply lost last weekend. I was terribly saddened by Anthony Bourdain's suicide. His book "Kitchen Confidential" opened up a whole new book genre to me, one that I enjoyed immensely. I loved his shows ( No Reservations and Parts Unknown), too and caught them when I could. I binge watched some of the best run on CNN. Please note that at the top of the links now is one for suicide prevention.

In honor of Tony, I'm offering up one of his favorite artists, Curtis Mayfield.

Parting shot: Just Jack.

12 comments:

Cindie said...

What a great loom Sherpa you have - above and beyond the call of duty! And I see it was partially dismantled.

In 3 moves I haven't had to take anything on my Macomber apart - just bungeed it all closed and wrapped the harnesses in packing paper. This time may be different as there's a narrow hallway with a sharp turn and I think the loom will have to go up on edge to get into the room......at least that's the hope rather than taking it totally apart.

Leigh said...

Wow! Mongo is quite amazing! Love how the dogs take all in stride. Or 'in nap', whichever.

I too was saddened by Tony's death. I've read his books and hubby and I both really enjoyed his shows. He was funny, edgy, and uniquely kind. It makes me sad/angry that such individuals as provide value to humanity are gone too soon, and the value-less wastes of oxygen linger on well beyond their sell date.

On a brighter note, I'm excited to see your new sewing projects.

farmer's wife weaving said...

Welcome home Mongo! Think your idea of putting the two Macombers together so you can share a bench is a sound one. Love the picture of the crew! Special pets for Jack!

Theresa said...

Cindie, If you do have to do a tear down, let me know. Dawn (Mongo's former owner) had some great ideas. I do have a wonderful loom Sherpa, even if he was a tad grumpy....

Theresa said...

Leigh, Mongo certainly is a loom of substance, and I hear you about those useless orange parasites. I didn't touch on the ripping children away from their parents. The news is so...cry worthy these days.

Theresa said...

Martha! Hey, good to hear from you! How is it all going? Hugs my friend and special pets for Jack and the crew.

LA said...

WOW!!! Sixteen harnesses!!!! What wonderful projects do you have in mind? A new adventure! LOVE the sewing patterns!

Sharon said...

That’s a mighty large loom, that Mongo! I too am saddened by Boudain’s death. I’ve read several articles recently, all grappling with the rise in suicides in the last 20 years. I just read a few minutes ago that one of the twins from Everybody Loves Raymond also just committed suicide at the tender ago of 19. It’s frightening.

Theresa said...

LA, I think once I get the apron on we'll embark on a blanket weaving journey of epic proportions. I'm not going to do double wide, opting instead to seam. Looking at a simple 4S canvas weave. Then onto some of the nifty design is Strickler that require a million treadles!

Theresa said...

Sharon, He is large, but still smaller than the Thought Products BarbaraV loom I had as my second loom. CNN is running more episodes of Parts Unknown this weekend. I know what I'm doing this evening.

Peg Cherre said...

Whew! Getting that loom, and then setting it up - HUGE energy! While I will surely have shaft envy, I know from experience that I don't really like weaving on looms that wide - my short little arms and legs aren't well suited to such shuttle throwing, and I have to get up off the bench every time I need to advance the warp - not my idea of a good time. I will eagerly await to see the beauties you create on it, though.

fillikir72518 said...

This website is really a walk-by way of for the entire information you needed about this and didn’t know who to ask. Glimpse here, and you’ll positively uncover it. slots for real money