Wednesday, December 20, 2017

Faux Fur Fail!

As always these days, late with my post dang it! I did indeed finish my new winter coat and I'm very happy with it.



The beautiful champagne sable faux fur just didn't work out.  I would have had to cut the hood much larger than the pattern called for and frankly, with a scant 3 yards of wool, there wasn't enough to go off rails. I should have ordered 4 yards and next time I will.



The coat is exceptionally warm, comfortable and easy to wear. Maybe not as lovely as the muse coat, but for my lifestyle, it works perfectly. It is roomy and not restrictive in any way which is nice when you are layering.



The wool and fleece combination was a challenge for my machines. It isn't that they aren't powerful enough, it's that the foot doesn't go high enough. I would love an industrial straight stitch machine someday, but for a coat once every few years it hardly seems worth it.

We will have a white Christmas. The snow is spitting from the sky today, sometimes small mean pelting flakes in the wind and at other times, fluffy flakes straight out of a Disney movie, soft and light and pillowy. In any event they all need to be shoveled. Or maybe like out of a fairytale, the North Wind, all chubby and puckered up will blow the drifts from door and my stairs. This is what comes of reading Russian tales. I spent Monday in bed, absorbed in The Bear and the Nightingale by
Katherine Arden. OMG, it has been a long time since I was so lost in a book, not wanting to be dragged back into the world of the here and now. And yes, the second book of the trilogy (The Girl in the Tower) is already started on my Kindle.

The other make to finally escape the sewing salon is a holiday red Patricia Rose dress/tunic.



 This is such a happy, bright and jolly red, it just had to become something for winter festivities. Christmas eve perhaps.



I wish I had more to share but life seems to get so hectic during the holidays, big and little bumps ripple far stronger than at other times of the year so it would seem.

I might not get to another post before Christmas, but don't forget to track Santa. As always NORAD
has us all covered. We can watch Santa live along his route. I hope he's resting now though for the big night!

I'll leave you with one of my favorite holiday songs by one of my favorite singers, Joan Baez. Enjoy, it's a beautiful piece of music.

I wish you all a wonderful holiday season, filled with an abundance of joy, friends, family and food!

Parting shot: A horrible, terrible, possibly crippling case of double ear flop. Oh DEAR!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas to you and yours! Pets for the crew, even those that suffer from double ear flop. ;-)

Michelle said...

If I lived within 50 miles, I would be there with ready shovel and willing muscles as a way of saying THANK-YOU!!!!!

Anna H said...

Have a wonderful holiday season Theresa!

Susan said...

Oh, no! Not the double ear flop! Mr. B has the same affliction on a regular basis (also called Mousie Ears). I love the winter coat - all the better wear shoveling. Or not. A very happy Christmas to you and yours, from me and mine.

LA said...

Rain here, with a chance of flurries on Sunday night. So, no white Christmas for us! Your red tunic is certainly perfect for this holly jolly time of the year.

Leigh said...

Love the coat! It's stylish, attractive, and looks very warm. Disappointing about the faux fur, but no one admiring it will be the wiser. So funny about double flop ear. What a face!

Theresa said...

Leigh, I love the coat too, and I think it might be better for not having the fur. A muff maybe or headband or both?

LA, the flurries will be special though, think of the sound of jingle bells off in the distance.

Susan, LOL, mousie ears, how perfect for this particular chronic affliction. Yes, it is a grand shoveling coat!

AnnaH, You too!

Michelle, If you lived within 50 miles I'd be at YOUR door in the summer begging those fine peaches and fruits you guys get. ;-) Have a wonderful Holiday

Martha, You do know Jack has the most perfect ears in the household? We tell him so every time we get to stroke their soft sleekness which is often. I'm thinking little snaps for mousie ears.....HA!

Mary said...

Happy holidays to my TSAB, and give all the creatures loves and hugs from me.