Sunday, August 2, 2015

Smoked!

Now I could be referring to Oregon's new marijuana laws or the wonderful things one can do with salmon or pork, but it is neither of those things.





 It is the smoke from the Stouts fire burning up in Douglas County, a fair ways from us actually, but prevailing winds are bringing the smoke into Rogue Valley (visibility has been lower than a 1/4 mile!), and finally to the southern end and up into the mountains. The smoke is bad, but not near as bad as being one of the many families effected in the immediate area of the fire. I remember all too well what that feels like from last year. And so the west begins to burn in earnest again this summer. Of note, one of the largest fires is up in Alaska. The entire west coast is pretty darn dry I'd say. You can scan through the numerous pages of fire activity here.

If the smoke wasn't keeping us all in, the heat sure is! It has helped to move some creative endeavors along. One of them is the pillowcase warp on St. Nick the Macomber. Threaded,



sleyed - twice  (I was off with the fairies  drinking Shiner Bock and thinking I was using a 10 dent reed when what I really had was an 8 dent. Head slap.), and weaving up beautifully so far. I am just about through the body of the first case which is 56" plus the plain deep border hems each end.



 I have some fine linen I am going to try with one of these. I am hoping it will soften well. The basket weave pattern is hard to see but once washed this will shrink and tighten up quite a bit and become beautiful fabric.



 I am loving this robin's egg blue and it was a lot easier to search for threading errors using a color.

I've had some fun up in the sewing room. I bought a couple of Tina Givens patterns and on one, the Phoebe, I realized I could take my ever adaptable Scout tee pattern and do this layered look without the heartache of numerous bust and shoulder adjustments.



  I used two very light smooth cottons for these pieces. The subtle stripe is a soft and beautifully woven India fabric. The tank has woven ovals, not printed.



 I will be trying out the cute loose cuffed pants that are also included with the pattern.

I couldn't resist using my favorite little mice in the body of this Decades of Style "Given a Chance" dress.



 The bodice is actually the little bags that my Restoration Hardware linen sheets came in. The color matched perfectly and there was just enough to eek it all out.



In other news, my Mother continues to improve after a couple of set backs. Thank you everyone for your thoughts, prayers and well wishes! We are all going out for dinner tonight and I know she is looking forward to it. She has to stay in rehab because she is getting intravenous antibiotics every 4 hours and it is much easier to manage and monitor in that setting and receive her physical therapy.

Both Marigold and I had haircuts last week. Not by the same stylist of course! Marigold went for the full on treatment with body wash and pedicure.

Smoochie had to crowd into the pic too!
She looks pretty cute and cuddly and I am sure feels so much cooler! I know I do.

And so that pretty much covers things for now. Thoughts and prayers going out to those affected by the numerous fires this season and to fire fighters everywhere. One was lost this past week in the Frog Fire in Modoc National Forest over the border in Northern California.

Parting shot: Lap time.
Robin & Jack


4 comments:

Cindie said...

I guess drinking and threading the loom is kind of like drinking and driving - don't do it, there are consequences.

Marigold is looking beautiful - Bailey could probably do with a trip to the salon to cut all his hair off for summer.

Smoke was horrendous here yesterday - this morning it's better........at least until the wind shifts............

LA said...

LOL....I found out early in my weaving life that I can NOT drink and weave....unless I really want to UNweave the next day!!! The news reports of the western fires are so scary. I'm glad you are staying in and sewing those lovely tops!

Yvonne said...

Hi from Bellingham WA! Hope you are safe with the continuing fires. Thank you for posting your sewing projects! I have tracked down some interesting patterns thanks to you, and am enjoying getting back to it. I've been mostly spinning & knitting the last couple of years.

Shuttle, Hook and Needle said...

It is scary hearing about the fires in CA.
We have family there but so far the fires have not been near them. Stay safe!