Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Reading Lists

A few comments came through about adding my book selections to the respective commenter's reading lists. I'm darn curious about what everyone has on their lists be they lengthy or not. I keep my list at Amazon ( wish list) and also a heap of books
on the nightstand and in the living room near the comfy chair. During the big clean, some of the books got put away on the book shelf and I am just now reassembling piles.
Here is what's in the works on my list and in some of the piles.

The Devil's Brood by Sharon Kay Penman
The Murder Stone by Charles Todd
The Hearts of Horses by Molly Gloss
Heaven and Earth: Global warming the missing science by Ian Plimer
Wolf Hall by Hillary Mantel
Half Broke Horses, A True-Life Novel by Jeannette Walls
Outliers The Story of Success by Malcolm Gladwell
Islam: A Short Modern History by Karen Armstrong
The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order by Samual P. Huntington
Fine Just the Way It Is: Wyoming Stories 3 by Annie Proulx
The River of Doubt: Theodore Roosevelt's Darkest Journey by Candice Millard

So, care to share your lists????

Oh, and to help all this reading along, the new glasses arrived yesterday. Woohoo!

6 comments:

Jennifer said...

Oh my - my list is very boring and short compared to yours! But here's what I'm reading now!

The Return of the King - J.R.R. Tolkein

I've got a sitting around, but I won't start them til this one is finished!

I've seen a feed on some other's blogs that you might like -

http://www.librarything.com/

Life Looms Large said...

My reading list is super long. Embarrassingly long.

On the short list of books I want to get out of the library right now:

Creative Habit by Twyla Tharp
The War of Art by Steven Pressfield
What I Talk About When I Talk About Running by Murakami
Reading the Forested Landscape and The Granite Landscape by Tom Wessels

I'm definitely in a non-fiction phase, and have been for a few years except when I'm on vacation. But for most of my life I've preferred fiction, so I'm sure I'll get back to it.

Sue

Leigh said...

It's funny you should post this. I started working on a new book post just yesterday. I'll finish it up and get it online because it's my reading list too.

bspinner said...

I've just finished two books,


The Girl Who Played With Fire - Stieg Larsson

The Divine Circle Of Ladies Playing With Fire - Dolores Stewart Riccio

Is there a theme here? No just two books I enjoyed. Next week I plan on cleaning out all the books I've read and take them to the Goodwill. Then take my wish list to the Library.

Sharon said...

And I too am working on a list. It must be the influence of winter. I only knew of a couple of the authors on your list. I just wish I could read faster. I think I type as fast as I read.

Theresa said...

Jennifer,

Hats off to you on the Tolkein book. I have never been able to finish the series although I love the movies.
I've tried since 1972 to get passed the second book in the series and failed always. The other book on my list of continual failures is Catch-22.

Sue,
I've pared mine down too! ;-) I've always read a fair amount of non-fiction and some of my very favorite books NF. I think for me there is just so much being published these days that it is hard to come up with anything like a realistic list. I certainly will be checking out some of you titles. Have you read Landscape & Memory by Simon Schama?

Leigh, Can hardly wait to see that list! You always make mention of some interesting gems in your blog.

Bspinner, isn't it nice to pass books along? Have fun at the library with your new list! Care to share it???

Sharon, Glad I could pass on a new author or two to someone I know is well read! I read pretty fast but sometimes I am so tired I find myself dropping off after a page or two. It usually has nothing to do with the book either. I would say winter certainly is the time to snuggle down with the idea in mind to make dents in the reading list.