Sunday, January 9, 2011

Fan Mail From A Flounder

If you were all Rocky and Bullwinkle fans you might remember that line. And believe me, I have tried for YEARS to work that one into a conversation. Since it has proven utterly impossible so far, I figured a blog post about postcards might be as close as I'm ever going to get.

So I stuck my toe back into the quilting waters and up popped a quilted postcard. Two have been made in fact. One was, well posted off to it's recipient, the other is staying right here with me. It's taken me a long time to come to grips that I don't have to quilt big, or even medium sized to quilt. I can just do an itty bitty thing and be happy.
In fact, I can do an itty bitty thing on my woven leftovers and be extremely happy. And that's just what I did. I took my idea of a prayer flag, and quilted one to a piece of woven pillowcase left over, ( this was the short piece I did to test the threading and such before digging in for the long weave).


Then I used a diamond lozenge also in silk and appliqued it right one underneath the flag. This is the Native American symbol for wind. The knots and fringe are leftover thrums. On the back a piece of fabric with dragonflies.


The first piece was sent off to Lorna's owner, because dang I just know it's going to take a bit of time to get all the prayers written out for this run of flags, and Lorna was a special little Scottie.


As you can plainly see from the post card pics, the towel warp is in process too and I am winding the 1000 plus yards of flippin fine silk for a scarf.


I could have sworn I said I wasn't going to work with really fine threads for a while, but there it is. That silk has just been begging to be made into a scarf.


Of course we are talking an 8-10 inch wide warp as compared to 25. So, I have justified it.

The cold is on the move, downward as they usually do. I am so grateful that my eyes are starting to actually clear up. We have gone from Lucifer red, to tired and strained pink. A VAST improvement. I can actually see what I'm doing most of the time.

I am giving you all a heads up. Next week I will be doing a Pay It Forward Yarn Give-Away. I have cleaned out my surplus and have bundled it into batches. I think there are four or five. Details will be forthcoming with the post.

Parting shot: Our Own Fractured Fairy Tale- Necessity Makes Strange Leash Fellows

7 comments:

Susan McShannon-Monteith said...

Lots of things on the go...and a perfect way to ignore the sometimes not so pleasant Winter that lies in wait just outside the door.
And who's walking who in the doggie pic?
Have a great week.
Susan

denise/deBRAT said...

yea, what's up with the leash buddies? Neither looks like Stella to me so who might not have come home?

I love that you sent off a tiny prayer flag for Lorna's owner to have now when the wound from such a loss is still so very deep and oh so raw. We all know how any little thing can make you weep in grief when we lose a fur family member.

extra hugs for Lorna's owner, and take care of yourself so you get well and can REALLY enjoy that fine silk warp! gosh that is going to be something to look at, delightful to hold, if you're dry scratchy fingers snag it, we mark it sold!

okay so i'm not laid up with a cold and just feeling mighty Brattie today.

later gator
denise/deBRAT cold feet, cold hands and dh wants me to get up and get dressed and go to the pharmacy with him? say what?

Cindie said...

I love your postcard idea! I've toyed with quilted surface design postcards for a while, even thought about them for holiday cards this year.....but they never happened.

And thanks again for sending that cold to the west end of the valley to me.....doing ok armed with my supply of Dayquil and Nyquil.

LA said...

So glad to hear that you're starting to feel a little better. Can't wait to see the scarf warp on the loom! How nice of the pups to walk each other....it saves you going out while you're under the weather!

Theresa said...

Ah the leash buddies, I thought I grabbed 3 leashes and only had two and three dogs, sooooo, the two perky ones got to act like cojoined twins while I kept a lead on the old man. You know, even at 18 the little devil will try to make a break for it. Of course he just jogs slowly back down the driveway, but the intent still burns bright.
Thanks Cindie, maybe we can swap some postcards! I'm having great fun and I am so sorry that you are feeling under the weather.
Ms.Brat yes, snagging that silk is a problem with the dry hands, but some Lo-Lo hand bar helps a lot.

DEEP END OF THE LOOM said...

I'm glad your feeling better. I sent you the email of the pic you wanted.

Life Looms Large said...

The postcards are a great idea! (The leash buddies maybe not so much from their point of view!!)

Since I'm catching up on blogs, I know that you're feeling much better by now!!!

Sue