Wednesday, April 8, 2009

One Horsepower

I find it interesting that our modern cars are still using horsepower as a unit of measurement. Every time we talk about the newest, most efficient vehicle we harken back to a time, not so long ago, when the measure of strength and efficiency ran on hay and oats.  Yesterday I finally got to harness some of that strength and energy. Cooper and I re-investigated some of our little world after a long winter away from the trails. There are so many things I love about the big guy, one that is always at the top of the list is steadiness. You can let him sit for 5 days or 5 months and you get the same horse. He doesn't get spooky, silly or barn sour. He is what he is and can be counted on to be safe and sensible. Our "dust off the tack" ride yesterday was no different than our "time to put away the gear" ride last November.
The trails were still muddy in parts, snow covered in others. Shrubs and trees are just starting to bud, while in Ashland, a scant 20 miles away and much lower in elevation, trees are blooming. Everything was very hushed still, the birds twittering but still tentative and all with a mission no doubt to be nest building.  Some trees came down over the windy winter and we took the time to clear where we can on the trails. Followed a little deer path for a while. Hadn't seen it before but with the ground still so bare it was easy to spot. We also spied some bobcat or lynx tracks, fresh from the morning while the snow would still support a small animal walking on it.  It was starting to get overcast and not the most beautiful day else I would have taken the camera. We spent two hours out, mostly at a walk with some nice trotting. We're both out of shape but neither us wanted to call it quits to head home. 

When I did get back into the house, I spent the rest of my time weaving. The curtains are almost done. I'm a good way into the final curtain and hoping to get them off the loom today. Yah!

Monday was a lost day. We got the car down into town without having to tow it. On first run through by the mechanic it is going to be expensive, we're waiting for the final estimate. Some things have got to be done, others can wait until we regroup. I'm hoping to have my multiple horse powered transportation back by the end of the week.
We've also been plagued by connectivity problems with Hughes.net. If I had it to do all over again, I would never go with them. Ever. There are other companies now which reach into our area. 

Sue over at Life Looms Large also sent out this beautiful award to me. Thank you Sue,
I'm honored! I am sending this lovely award onto Sarah @ Woven Voices, Evelyn Oldroyd, Jennifer @ Finding the Real Me. Their blogs are all in my blog list and when I figure out how to make their names links in the text, I will! ;-)

"This blog invests and believes in the PROXIMITY-nearness in space, time and relationships. These blogs are exceedingly charming. These kind bloggers aim to find and be friends. They are not interested in prizes or self-aggrandizement! Our hope is that when the ribbons of these prizes are cut, even more friendships are propagated. Please give more attention to these writers!"

2 comments:

Life Looms Large said...

Your horseback ride sounds great!!! Lynx or bobcat tracks - cool!

Hope the car ends up OK. Car repairs are such a bummer!!

Meanwhile, at least you have horsepower!

Sue

Evelyn Oldroyd - painter said...

Thank you Theresa! Your ride sounds perfect. Evelyn