Friday, June 1, 2012

Travel Reading

While I may not get to reading vast volumes at home, I do catch up on the annual trip to the homeland and this year was no different. There wasn't bad one in the bunch either and I was all across the board in my selections. As I boarded the plane I reread the final third or so of the Night Circus by Erin Morganstern and must admit here and now, it is one of the most creative and well conceived novels I have ever had the pleasure to read. I wanted to be a part of the Night Circus and still do.

I'll run through what was loaded onto the Kindle in order of reading.

1. The Devil in White City by Erik Larson. Well written, well researched and eagerly consumed.

2. The Twelfth Enchantment by David Liss. Not his usual type of novel but quite good.
The period and characters richly done.

3. The Help by Kathryn Stockett. It took a while for me to get to this book and I enjoyed the read, but I have to say, I thought the ending was...blah. For me it was a real weak point in the book.

4. The Hunger Games Trilogy by Suzanne Collins. Just awesome, all of them.

5. Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Liani Taylor. First novel to be followed by a sequel or two and I sure was hooked. I thought the second book was out and found that it is only available for pre-order. I boo hooed because the first book ends with a real cliff hanger!

6. Bring Up the Bodies by Hilary Mantel. I loved Wolf Hall and I loved this one too. No one makes the court of Henry VIII as vivid or Thomas Cromwell as interesting as Ms. Mantel. Write more soon, please!

7. Thereby Hangs a Tail by Spencer Quinn. Chet and Bernie are one of my guilty pleasures when it comes to reading. PI Bernie and his canine side kick Chet always make me smile, doubly so because the stories are told by Chet. This book took me happily through my flights home and I turned the last page just as we were coming in for final approach to Medford OR. Priceless!

So there you have a little list. Maybe something will catch your fancy for summer reading!

Parting shot: I spy with my little camera eye.

2 comments:

Prairie Cat said...

I loved The Hunger Games. I ended up reading the trilogy in less than a week! I just could not put it down.

Leigh said...

I'm always looking for a recommendation for a good book!