LOL, that title could have a few different meanings, but no, I'm not talking about the bi-annual release of canine, equine and feline fur. I'm actually referring to the shed on my looms. I am so spoiled by the Louet sheds but really it was the old Murphy loom I sold
that started me on my assumption that all sheds should be generous. And that assumption brings me to the present day. While on vacation in MA I decided to sell the Glimakra Julia.
While there are many many things to love about her, I didn't love her. Simple as that. It's not a Glimakra thing, and it certainly wasn't that she was a bad loom, she was just little and there is no way a loom with such a short span from back beam to breast beam is going to have a shed like a larger loom.
Right here is where either (or both) my DH ( who did BTW) or my Dad would remind me I wanted a smaller loom, but she was never going to live up to Murphy. I never should have sold him. My first loom and I loved him. The Julia ads hit a few markets and that was that. Two weeks ago she sold, the morning after she sold I was on the local Craigslist, doing my usual daily searches ( and yes, looms are one of them), and low and behold, there, right flipping THERE was my old Murphy loom. He had never been used and the buyer had decided to sell him. Well, I'm just not one to mess with the universe. When she puts a wish like that right in your face you take advantage of it and I did. While I was meeting a lovely weaver from Washington state in Ashland proper with Julia, Gene was in Rogue River with the truck picking up the Murphy loom again. Welcome home Murphy! I promise I won't be so foolish a second time.
The Stella and Robin quilt has been completed.
It's on the bed and has been pressed into service already for afternoon reading and catnapping. I took a morning and finished up the binding by hand.
It washed up beautifully and while I was not use to working with such a lofty batting I like how it turned out after a wash and dry.
A pair of eggplant Flax copy pants was completed too, in my one of my favorite pant weight fabrics, Brussels washer (linen and rayon).
While waiting to meet up yesterday I had a little cutting session with some lovely linen and cotton denim. Pants and a light weight jacket are in the works. The pattern for the jacket is almost a dead ringer for an Eileen Fisher one being shown this season here. For comparison the Simplicity pattern I'm using is here. No hood but I don't like hoods, so I'm good with that.
In other news, the Paragliding Nationals kind of fizzled with the heavy rains and cold weather we got at the end of the week. I'm told there were some epic flights though in the days before our unseasonable precipitation arrived. Bob the tractor has a slow leak in one of the big rear tires and will be taken out for service sometime this week for repairs.
Robin's toe is healing up nicely. So there is your toe and tire report and a few other things thrown in for good measure.
Parting shot: Cooper
A Random Approach to Deflected Double Weave
5 hours ago