Here are the plants waiting for dirt and rock work.
They have been sitting there for over a week and other than a test nipping of one of the Bayberry's, the deer have not bothered with them. They have been picked out not only for their importance in the small landscape garden, but for their (hopefully) deer resistance.
There are 3 Bayberry bushes. Not to be confused with Barberry. Bayberry berries are boiled and the wax used to scent candles. Three Mugho Pines, which will be kept trimmed to remain low and a Curly Top Cypress, round out the evergreens. A Witch Hazel, variety "Diane", Pieris variety Mountain Fire, two wild variety roses, "Rosa Rugosa", one a white double and the other a close to wild cultivar with a single pink flower. They have beautiful, large hips. Two additional Arctic Willows, a common variety Lilac, basic light purple, single flowers, 3 Kinnikinnick, a low growing native which hopefully will provide interest over some of the boulders that will be moved into place, lavender and some low growing Shasta Daisies. The single specimen tree, which you don't see here (the roses are not pictured in the group either), is a Paper Bark Maple. No doubt there will be additions once the foundation plants get in and we see the space for real instead of just on paper. I promise individual pics when it is all planted. I want to try out the Panorama option again on the Fuji camera too!
The sewing room has been busy. Miss Bea had a rough week and a half, off her food and lackluster. At 17 she is starting to suffer renal problems and I stuck close to home while we started her on medications and tried to kick start her appetite again. She will be going on a special diet this week from Royal Canin. Fingers crossed she will eat it because she has absolutely no intentions of eating Hill's KD Science diet! But the fabric stash certainly was depleted while I worried and watched my little blonde bombshell for signs of improvement! The Simple Tunic was cut in voile and color blocked.
The flowers are actually rather angry looking insects, but a pretty print overall in unusual colors.
A Decades of Style top was completed in some fun cottons. I even did the fancy cuff treatment on this one.
Both tops are paired with newly sewn linen pants in a summery Sea foam color. Lastly, this working muslin of the Bold & Beautiful Kimono Jacket.
It was fun and challenging.
She uses some interesting construction approaches, coupled with the sparse unadorned directions and it made for a real concentrated effort.
And so worth it. I think it has gained "favorite garment to date" status. I want one of these in black and have been saving some fine black linen for something special. A match made. Sunday I went on a cutting frenzy and got 6 other items cut out, mostly for fall.
And speaking of fall, I know summer must arrive at some point, but it has been cool and rainy here, a very unusual patch of weather for us. We even had the heat on for a day and a night. I'm told though, that by weeks end, temps will be back to normal...hot!
Parting shot: Ain't no way to hide those begging eyes....