Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Sewing, Weaving, Weather and Wildlife

I'm hitting all the bases here! Southern Oregon and Northern California, besides being in a drought, is also experiencing a heat wave. We are all moving slowly and doing hard work in the morning while it is still cool. Everything is making use of the shade in the hot afternoons and I have been hiding out in the air conditioned bedroom sewing.

A fair amount has gotten done up there and all of it, hot weather sewing.  The Decades of Style "Given a Chance" dress is a delight to make.



 That little folded  and lined bodice just feels special and the whole thing takes about two hours from cut to closet.



 I drafted a sleeve for it using the armsythe and sleeve from the Grainline Studio Scout Tee, and we'll see how that works out. One is cut out for a try out in the next sewing round. It is a bit tricky with the bodice. As is I have been making this in cottons and linens they are comfortable and cool.





 There are also in seam pockets. What's not to love?

A couple of little Mississippi tunics also got done. Seems there is a flying theme in these.





 Birds of Paradise in one and if you look closely (biggify), bats in the other.



 In fact this fabric is titled "Bats in the Belfry". This has been the year of pinks for me and it is fitting this is designed by Tula Pink.



The Gem has seen a bit of action. I've finished up the 4 place mats and have headed into dresser scarf weaving. I chose a bright minty green for this and I am liking how the grey and green mix.



 I've probably gotten another 12 inches along since this pic was snapped. Overshot is not my strong suit for fast weaving.

Juno the cat tussled with I think Wynken the barn cat and got a bitten and infected paw out of the deal. A quick little surgery to open up the punctures, an overnight stay, some pain meds and antibiotics and bed rest and she is good to go outside today after her last dose of Clavamox.

And here is the other visitor to our bird feeders.



 I saw the deer trying to get into it the other day but it is just a little too high.

My Mother is doing great with her hip replacement recovery. Bending down is still hard but she is making excellent progress. We did breakfast out a couple of times last week. :-)

Another wave of record breaking heat is due just in time for the 4th of July.  We'll be hanging with the folks, having a simple selection of burgers, dogs and sides and lots of cold beer. Fingers crossed that we do not get thunderstorms and Gene can actually relax and enjoy the day.

Parting shots: Queen of the Serengeti (barn cat Wynken), surveying her domain.





6 comments:

Mary said...

While I like all these tunics, the Mississippi outfits are just plain lovely! and bats...wow, I really like that idea for a fabric. Glad your mom is doing well. Stay cool and safe in the heat!

Donna W said...

Your sewing is lovely. Love those tunics. We are having a heat wave here in Alberta and therefore forest fires are ever present. Had some rain the past two days but now it is hot and humid again, really needed the rain though. I sew in the basement where it is cool.

LA said...

Great news about your Mom's recovery! I was concerned about your neck of the woods with all the wild fires happening.....I have my fingers crossed that you all can enjoy the 4th in peace.

auntmeanie682 said...

I am new to your blog. I love the tunics! Do you use a pattern or is it your own design?

Coco said...

I am so jealous of your wildlife...and love the bats fabric. Good news that your mom is recovering well. That's a difficult surgery. Best wishes to her...

Shuttle, Hook and Needle said...

All of your sewing is lovely. The tops look so cool and comfy! Glad your mother is getting better!
The heat is miserable but the drought really makes it hard.
Wish it would rain a slow gentle all day kinda rain for your area. The heat we experienced has disappeared and replaced with cooler weather with some much needed rain.