Closets, can't live with them, can't live without them! What did you think I was going to launch into? If you were "lucky" enough to spend a year of bleeding money (and arguing with just about everyone about something), while you built your own house, you'd put a ton of them in wouldn't you? Well I didn't. HEAD SLAP GOES HERE. In fact, besides each bedroom having a basic closet there are only 3 closets for general use. Here are two and as usual, the crew is ever present to "help".
Bathrooms have free standing furniture as I prefer to have vintage pieces rather than closets in those places. So of my three closets, the largest one wasn't working for me at all. It had never gotten a shelving system. Stuff was stacked on the floor and in crappy old dressers, much of it ready for Goodwill or the freebie bins downtown. My other closets/dressers where doing double duty and the madness had to stop! Gene finally installed a full set of shelves. I now have 5 shelves 20 inches wide by 7 feet long and so began the long migration. I won't bore you with the endless hours spent sorting, sifting, folding and tossing. We're going right to the good stuff.
My hanging clothes and shoes got their new wonderful home in the huge French wardrobe in the bedroom,
freeing up floor and shelf space in the master closet /sewing room area and of course allowing for another dog bed area.....
The blankets and quilts and spreads packed into that amoire got moved to the shelved closet along with their close friends the bed sheets, who were co-mingling in the other closet with towels and such. Neatening still needs to happen in the new digs.
The existing shelved closet got a full overhaul and now the towels and such are all happily on their own dedicated shelf again and not scattered around.
I spent yesterday admiring all of my closets and planning how to better utilize the shelf space.
In sewing news, I managed to finish 3 pairs of curtains complete with tie-backs, wrinkled though they are after all being washed.
Everything will get a nice press and starch before going up in the windows. The red plaid fabric did indeed get cut out into a jacket. I have to construct a lining pattern from the jacket pieces and get that cut out too.
Weaving was sadly neglected all week, but we'll fix that this weekend for sure.
In farm news, it wasn't a completely bleak week. Mary from biblioblog traveled on over from Klamath Falls to go riding with me. It was a wonderful time. Dandy so appreciated an accomplished equestrian at the other end of the reins and I was beside myself having such an interesting and fun riding partner. We have so much in common, terriers, horses, and of course, sewing. Mary brought along some cute red fabric and a delicious loaf of fresh bread from a local K-Falls bakery. It beat anything I can get in Ashland that's for sure! It didn't last more than a day either. We'll be doing it again soon too.
Using the new trailer and round pen set up I got Nick loading nicely and allowing the door to be closed. He stood quietly while closing and opening and it marked a milestone for us. The big news was Cooper though. Wednesday morning I decided we were going to get him in the trailer, and get the gate closed however long it took. It didn't take long, about 20-30 minutes. The deal with both horses was simple, in the trailer you get treats and you get to rest, if you want to come out, you can but you're going to have to work. Nothing mean about it, just when you're on the ground you're either trotting or cantering around in circles. We've struggled for years with loading issues, bought and sold trailers and had to have others with big 4 horse open trailers do any moving of him. I have fingers crossed that time and trust has worked a little magic and we'll continue to build on this nice start.
Parting shot: Look who's behind this door!
Well, That Didn't Go According to Plan
2 hours ago