Wednesday, October 18, 2017

Autumn is Just Another Word for Overload

Simply put, fall snuck up on us. It was so hot for so long we were lulled into laziness. Then poof! frost is on the pumpkin (and everything else), and high gear kicks in. Time to winterize, oh and then there is wood and fences and shelters to attend to. Plows to think of, hay to get in. Any of you living on a farm or ranch or with a garden can understand the urgency with which one welcomes in the most wonderful two seasons of the year. Pretty leaves and fresh pressed cider followed by the reverence of the world (mine at least) shrouded in white and pale grey, muffled and quiet as we have a time to reflect. And there is certainly a lot happening in the world to reflect upon.

And then of course there was the week of Spinzilla, I managed 1830 yards, which for me is a happy total. As much as I love Amelia Joy 2 the wheel, I am still not a fast spinner and will never be, but my yarn did improve and I got some very nice fingering yarn. Here are my humble skeins,



 which have gone to The Web-ster's to give away to those who are inclined to do charity knitting. The shop sponsors hats for Dunn House a local emergency shelter for women and children escaping abuse be it domestic, sexual or date etc.

This was the skein I finished up before Spinzilla started, one of the few I'm keeping for myself.




Once that ended there was just a whole lot of catch up on mundane chores. Last Friday was the year anniversary of my Dad's death.  Can a Friday the 13th get much worse I ask you? We muddled through, maybe it should be puddled through.

All those give-aways minus two mailed out Monday. The two held back I was waiting on addresses, which I have but they missed the big batch. They will leave here this week too.

 I am just about to take this warp off the loom. Five holiday towels for gifts.



I really love this pattern and will do it again, and again. It doesn't have to be in Christmas colors. Oh and looky loo, who wants to learn to weave! ;-)



Another warp is starting on the reel, I'm calling this my bumblebee warp.



Yellow, white and black. I've wanted to do one of these for years and dagnabbit, now is the time. The first bout of 170 ends is just about done. I sold the Harrisville reel to a weaver in Klamath Falls. Hope she loves it.

The ever rotating road crew has been out all the days I didn't have to go to town. This is the usual group. Jack, Hazel and Mandy.



Speaking of Mandy she has found a toy to call her own,



these Nylabone fake rawhide bones. I bought one and when she called dibs on it, I bought 3 more. She seems to feel all of them are hers. Don't mess with the Little Red Queen's bones, just ask Jack!



 Dogs must be the original hoarders.

Speaking of walks, some of my most loved birds are back now that the seasonal interlopers are gone. Mountain Chickadees, beautiful Chestnut Backed Chickadees, Red Breasted Nuthatches and a first this year a White Breasted Nuthatch. The little Pine Siskin's have taken over the thistle feeder. Our Junco's are back and the Stellar Jays and Ravens make themselves known throughout the day with the calls and caws. We spied bear scat, in our back yard and across the road on one path. The foxes have returned to pillage dropped seed and raw egg handouts. There is a pair. It is too early for mating so I suspect they are siblings just sprung from their mothers protection to make or break it this first winter. The raccoons are here but not as often seen as when Momma had the 3 terrors with her. They may have a different denning place for winter. The deer are gone, the stupid hunters are back. Sigh.

There have been a few little treats these past couple of weeks, some fun fabrics.



You do know I like mushroom and hedgehog fabrics right? And this little treat came home with me when I dropped my yarn off at the Web-ster's.



 I have the hat kit too and am going to try to knit both of them up this winter. HA!

Four hours later I'm sneaking in a "Did That Just Happen" because this opinion piece is so well written and finally tells us something about the four soldiers that lost their lives in Niger. My heart goes out to the families, not only for their heavy loss but that it now must be part of the political circus of the so called President.

Parting shots: Weenie in the wild. We had to cross a pretty wide stream to get to this spot!





13 comments:

LA said...

Your Christmas towels are amazing! LOVE that pattern! I just noticed this week that my Chickadees have returned in force, too. They are so much fun to watch at the feeder. BEAR? They are looking for all the food they can find this time of year!

Susan said...

VERY nice job on that spinning! I love the yarn you are holding back. My goodness, little red miss is a diminutive little thing! PB does the same thing, as did TP - if there is anything at all to gnaw on, it is theirs! As busy as it is, I cannot wait for snowfall. I love the quiet and the monotones are soothing. We are getting close to one of (too) many hunting seasons, so I have the bright orange walking vests at the ready!

Theresa said...

LA Yep, I haven't seen bear scat around here for a couple of years. I hope it has found it's winter den and is way out in the wilds of the monument.

Susan, Thank you! The little red dictator is a whopping 9.5 pounds. I would love to ride in the fall and sadly it is just too unsafe, orange gear or not. I fear some asshat will fire into the woods and hit my horses or goats. Plus some jerk jumping from behind the trees decked out in camp scares the bejeebers out of whatever horse I'm riding. Ask me how I know this.

Theresa said...

decked out in CAMO

Michelle said...

That's one tiny advantage to living in our ever-more-developed county; it's too populated for most hunters now.

Leigh said...

I'd keep that skein of yarn too! Gorgeous! Fall snuck up on us too. After days and weeks of hot weather, all of a sudden we've got first frost ready to pounce. I love the cooler days and nights but so much to do!

Peg Cherre said...

The spinning results are beautiful. And so generous of you to donate yet more things you created!

I love the snowflake towels...can you share the draft?

Mandy is a hoot. Clearly at home.

Peg Cherre said...

Oh yeah, meant to add...while living in my current home in the city presents its own challenges, I don't miss the hunters I had to deal with all those years in the sticks. I had several close encounters with black bears, all adrenaline pounders for me, but totally peaceful.

Anna H said...

Your skeins are beautiful, I think you did a great job!

Anonymous said...

Mandy has adapted to life with crew in no time at all, good for her! Glad she has decided to let everyone she knows that she has ALL the bones!

Your spinning results are stupendous, great job! Lovely thought to donate your hard work to those in need.

Why are you selling your Schacht 8/10? No likey??

Kim said...

Gosh you have been busy! Busy as a bee (pun on your new warp fully intended!) I am not weaving much but am quilting, so I love to look at your work for vicarious creativity.
I have included your blog in a little project started by Yarrow at Wild Woman Walking to get to meet new blogs and perhaps have a few new visitors.... please feel free to participate if you wish! Now I need to go spin some yarn!

Leigh said...

I love the pattern on the towels! I really must learn to weave.

Mandy is a cutie pie. I think you're right about dogs being hoarders.

I am in receipt of the lovely yarn you sent. Thank you! Now to begin the process of figuring out what to make. Not enough for a sweater on it's own, but if I got some other colors to go with, it will make something very nice.

Congrats on the spinning! I wish they'd hurry up and announce the yardages. Last year my team came in second. I'm excited to see what we did this year. I didn't do squat. I was on vacation (and sick), and even though I took my turkish spindle, I really didn't accomplish much in the way of yardage. I guess the others will carry me this year.

Diane in Oregon said...

Love your star towels! Your stars look more distinct (more star-like) than the ones I wove recently - https://www.ravelry.com/projects/DianeOregon/point-twill-napkins - did you use tabby?

Great spinzilla effort, btw!