Saturday, July 23, 2016

We're Not Talking Snagglepuss

But "Heavens to Murgatroyd!" look what the trail cam captured!






Needless to say, we are being very alert to our surroundings during the morning feed.
Gene has resurrected his old 12 gauge shotgun just in case, but honestly, while kind of disconcerting, we've known cougars are around here and have been since before we were here.

 This one is doing EXACTLY what it is supposed to do, kill and eat deer. We live in a national monument, the wilderness areas extend down into far northern California and the Pacific Crest Trail runs a mere three miles from my house. I have always felt my decision to cut my goat numbers down and let them hang 24/7 with the horses a good one. I guess I'll find out.

Parting shot: Every picture tells a story. This one, someone wants me to save Timmy since he has fallen under enemy control.......
and No I did not fetch Timmy for Stella. Even I have a limit.

8 comments:

Wendy said...

That's one big kitty!

Coco said...

wowser! excitement reigns :-)

Linda said...

What a beautiful animal! Must be a wonderful place to live--this city dweller can only imagine.

Shuttle, Hook and Needle said...

Scary!

Theresa said...

Wendy, Yes it is, healthy and confident. I knew they got big, but I was unprepared for the size of this guy.

Coco, Yes it does! Rarely a dull moment at Chez Runamuck.

Linda, It is a spectacular specimen. Like any place, here has it's pluses and minuses. Cougars span both categories!

Louise, That too! But less scary than the world at large these days.

Cindie said...

Great catch on the critter cam. We had cougars out on our last property - I could hear them 'scream' at night. This property we have coyotes, sometimes right out the bedroom window at night - they can be very loud.

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful cougar, I wonder if the dead deer on the property drew him in? Now that I think about it I don't believe that the big cats eat carrion but only fresh kill. Mother Nature is a thing of beauty.

MOM! Emergency! Emergency! Timmy is being held hostage!!!

LA said...

Amazing!!!