The much favored little red down throw, which had multiple little teeth and chew frays (causing it to leak down EVERYWHERE), has had a simple cotton duvet cover made.
I basically sewed the throw in there. I made a big pillow case, arranged the throw inside. Closed it up catching the edge and then stitched all four corners so it wouldn't ball up inside. A few more heavy tacks midway along each side and Viola!, a fresh throw ready to warm laps and dogs alike.
Oh and it's bright orange!
I finally dragged out the little mechanical Pfaff 6091 which does the best buttons holes and finished the little blue top.
Laura had asked after the pattern number, it is Vogue 8585
an out-of-print (OOP), pattern. For those that like it and want to find it, try Etsy or eBay. Etsy is where I found my copy of it. I had also forgotten how much I loved my 6091. It doesn't have any of the whistles and bells of the electronic or computerized machines, but it does have such a smooth way of going and the 5 step button hole is easy and good. It's still out and handled my third project. The Indygo Junction Mock Smock. I made mine as a vest in a classic muted wool plaid.
No pockets. This pattern is generous in sizing, I stepped down from my usual size pick for this company when I did the tissue fitting and will go down one more size for a summer top version. Warning, the bindings can be fussy. They aren't hard, they just require some concentration and patience. My tip, iron the turned hem edge up before you attach the reverse facing. It will make life so much easier. Square necklines and arm holes are a bugger to iron. I also added a pair of darts to the back and didn't bother with the side vents.
Other than that, it's exactly like the ones shown! ;)
I'm ready to do an iron review too. The T Fal iron gets a solid B+.
The steam is good, the iron gets hot enough, the "stay out of the way" cord, convenient and the front of it, good and pointy for getting in and ironing some of the harder bits in tighter places while you are sewing something together. I like the ceramic sole plate. It is smooth and glides well over both cotton and wool so far. The wool was a looser plain weave, rough and grabby and it steamed and ironed it quite well. Easy to fill and only drippy if you don't wait until it is completely warmed up to the temperature you've picked. The burst is good and consistent. But it's not an A and here is why. The iron is light, I like an iron with more heft. This has none. The temperature knob is on the body under the handle. My fingers are not long enough, nor is it free enough to turn from an iron holding position. I must put the iron down and adjust by putting a finger on each side under the handle. Plus it is just too slimline to the iron body. If the whole knob stuck up a bit more, I could get a better gripe on it overall and use one hand. Ergonomics are important with something hand held, especially when that something gets burning hot. The setting markings are sparse. Really they could have given you a few more fabrics on there. Small complaints yes, but enough to keep it from a better grade. We have yet to see how durable it is.
In other news, my parents rode out storm Nemo well. The wind howled, the snow fell, the plow guy came, cleaned them up and shoveled the walks. They were rarin' to go before the driving ban was lifted. With no loss of power they had hot meals, warm house, TV to keep updated and a worried daughter checking in more often than needed. Piece of cake! And lucky. Many people are still struggling with the aftermath, be it flood damage, downed trees, no power or one of a hundred things that get harder with bad weather.
Parting shots: Miss Bea, obviously giving me and my camera the raspberry!
Trying to think of something else to make me take it away...far away.