I suspect you are expecting some wonderful reflective Christmas eve post. Forget about it! This is wisdom I've culled over the years and let's face it, Solomon I ain't.
1. Gifting anything with a cord should only be done if that item is specifically on a list.
Just because someone says near or during the holidays, "wouldn't it be fun to have a waffle iron" or "Honey, the vacuum seems to be sounding a little sick." does NOT mean they want to have it appear under the tree. And a dust buster is NEVER going to end up on some one's list. Trust me.
1A. Multiples. Often the same gift is purchased for members of any given family. Two kids wanting the same toy, etc. Please, make it different in some way from the other,
be it color or style etc. That goes for the toys too. If one breaks and they are different, at least you'll know who's it was, not who's they SAY it was. ;)
2. Cash. To give or not to give. I personally like cash, but only from family. From friends, keep it cheap, fun and put something of yourself in it. Family, I know enough about all of you, cash is fine.
3. Tree decorating. Enjoy, don't stress and drink only enough to make the job go quickly. Avoid a Christmas morning hangover. ( We always put up our tree on Christmas eve).
3A. Baling twine, it's not just for hay any more! All trees, especially those in households with dogs, cat's, ferrets or children can benefit by tying their tree to something solid, like the wall or the ceiling. Trust me on this, I know.
3B. The tree looks just fine with only the top half decorated! Fido and Felix can sniff and such to their hearts content the lower branches without an emergency trip to the vet for that ornament or hook.
4. Christmas Eve company. Avoid a morning hangover even if the champagne is free.
Hors d'Oeuvres are not considered "putting something in your stomach before drinking" unless of course, you eat them all. It is Christmas so sharing is expected.
5. This is the one that has always been the hardest for me to swallow. Not everyone wants to get up at the crack of dawn to open gifts! Can you believe that???
(Maybe they didn't know about items 3 & 4.) Even if it's a lump of coal, it's still Christmas, there is still magic and by god, there likely is something wrapped up under that tree that hasn't been guessed at yet.
6. Give a little locally. Shelters, rescues, food banks are all feeling the pinch this year
big time. In most cases these are gifts that go directly to those in need. Do it, you'll feel so much better about yourself and the world. Even Ebenezer figured this one out!
That's it for the collective wisdom.
Don't forget, you can track Santa via those crafty spies at Norad.
I hope everyone has a wonderful holiday, kept just how they wish.
Parting Shots. Stealth Terrier Undercover!
And she gets so insulted when you accidentally sit on her!