Thursday, May 17, 2018

The Weekend in Two Parts: Part Two

Shopping and all the other stuff. As always, the little sales room (chalk full of quilty items donated and handmade), had some real treasure. This lovely grey and yellow quilt grabbed me right from the get-go and at $45.00 was a steal IMHO.



A couple $10.00 and under blankets came home to swaddle little fur bodies, of which we have a plenty.



Every dog deserves his own blankie. Many have gone from homecoming to grave. Just like kids, dogs have their favorites. A cute little quilt book also jumped into my basket.



 Can you guess why?

We took my Mom out Saturday night to a favorite eatery for a fine dinner instead of a brunch on Sunday. The food was quite delicious. It was a busy night out as it was prom weekend too. Who did that to all those Mother's I want to know.

The big push was of course getting two lengthy towel warps beamed on. I did the one for the David myself and it was a bit fussy. Some cottons just get grabby and the soft American Maid organic colored cotton kept hugging the neighboring stripe.



  I also decided that keeping my Dad's loom as a shrine was ridiculous. I either needed to use or move it along. I decided on the former, with modifications. I never liked the crowded feel of the loom after he put 4 more shafts on bringing it up to 12. I e-mailed Jane Stafford, who is an expert on all things Louet and she suggested the best way to remove them.



I spent after dinner Saturday removing those shaft and lamms and DH was the warping valet I needed for this lovely blue warp on Sunday morning. Threading has started and I am excited about using this loom again.



 8 shafts and 14 treadles! Perfect!!

I also added some bells to Buttercup,

Bells on beater and shafts make a beautiful light laughing sound.

 and a little clay fox.



 I can see this loom starting to look like one of those Tibetan yurts, brightly painted, bells and prayer flags and all sorts of wonderful things bestowed upon it. We're just getting started here.

And then there was a wee bit of sewing. I had this Tania Tabard cut out a few weeks ago. I have to say soft a soft buttery yellow is one of my favorite colors.



The other bit of sewing ended up in the trash. Yep, a StyleArc pattern that was an utter fail. Usually raglan sleeves work beautifully for me. This pair of them was cut so low they went to my waist.



When I lifted my arms the whole top came up and it was weird feeling. It hit the trash so quick it would make your head spin. So many nice patterns, why fiddle with one that simply doesn't work?
I can do pin tucks easily enough on something that fits better.

I think some Tuvan throat singing a perfect end to this post. They came to Ashland a number of years ago. I took my Dad, we had a blast!

Parting shot: Keeping an eye on those humans is exhausting.

5 comments:

Leigh said...

The puppers DO need blankies. :) Yay for using your dad's loom again. I'm not a weaver (yet) so don't really 'get' the 12 to 8 thing, but eventually I'll know. Bummer about your top. but they make more fabric every day. What a cute pic! Dog Snoozing with Blanket #27. :)

LA said...

What a neat little book! I love looking at quilt blocks, and they make wonderful tote bags when you only have the time to make 2 blocks! I'm so glad you & your Mom had a lovely dinner out. With the prom goers, you had some lively people watching!

Martha said...

Thanks for the heads-up on the Faith top. I do really like the tabard though. Is your fabric a knit? Does the pattern have bust darts?

Peg Cherre said...

Your creativity and willingness to think outside the box - about patterns, looms, and pups - is a constant inspiration.

Theresa said...

Peg, Decorating that one loom to the nines is making it easier NOT to go after the others, although, that big older Macomber about to land in June might get a touch of decoration here and there...

Martha, The tabard pattern has no darts but the front sash makes it hug nicely. It calls for woven materials and that is a smooth nice medium weight linen that I used. Honestly, I dislike knits of just about all sorts and never sew any. You can be sure that most of my sewing is cotton, linen, wool or silk.

LA, That book is a treat. I have to make the little jointed dog Fred and you are right, a single panel used on something can be just right!

Leigh, How did you know that was blank #27??? Actually, there are two of those. I made them years ago for my Dad's boat. They have miles and stories to tell.