Friday, May 25, 2018

Names

Names are powerful things, for good and ill. With few exceptions I have given all my animals person status with their names. For the most part they have fit them too, or maybe that is just how my memory works. I wove the log cabin warp off and got to work adding all the names to Buttercup. She is a receptacle not only as a fiber eating monster of a loom, but as a touchstone of names, memories, imagination, good will, and things Zen.















My long time readers will recognize some, if not all, of these names, There are those who wait in beautiful places and those stuck here with me still. ;-)  Everyone's name is on the loom somewhere and still there is room for more. And of course, I have added a true wind horse.



 I doubt I will ever let this loom go. And now she is ready for another warp. Rag placemats.

And since we are on names, I want to tell you I have new lifetime favorite book. "The Name of the Wind" by Patrick Rothfuss. If you don't like fantasy, let alone epic fantasy, this may not be the book for you, but if you do, the writing is poetry, the characters deep and interesting and the world more magical than Hogwarts or Pern or Westeros. This is book one of a trilogy. The second book is "The Wise Man's Fear". I have both of these books in my Audible library. I am on the second listen to the second book. The third book is still in the works. Patrick Rothfuss is a lyrical writer, but he is not fast dammit it! I have to say I have enjoyed dipping back into fantasy books. I keep up with the news, so really, I much prefer to have my reading or listening time as far away as possible from current fiction or biography. Escapism at it best.

I even send my dogs on magical adventures. Look, one of the Jacks escaping for a bit of a sail.



 This lovely banner was handmade by Etsy artist Karly Fae Hansen.



You can be sure I have her little shop is bookmarked and other favorites picked out.

I also got the lovely Eagle print framed. Something simple so that the artwork shines.



Now it would have been easy to give you "The Name Game" as a song for this post, but I'm thinking something a little smoother. I dare you not to be humming this at least until the end of the day!

Parting shot: Sleeping in.

8 comments:

Cindie said...

I love that loom - it has to make you smile each time you weave....and love the prayer flags hanging on it.

LA said...

Your loom is a lovely tribute to your faithful friends! Love it!!!! What a joy to sit at your loom surrounded by good vibes....and, no...I'm not stopped in the name of love!!!! Keep going!!!!

Leigh said...

Love that all the furkids have a place on the loom. That book is popular. I have the audiobook on hold now, but there are 5 copies and 10 people ahead of me.

Michelle said...

Perfect frame for the eagle! I love how you personalize your space.

Peg Cherre said...

Your loom is an amazing piece of art, as well as a great weaving tool. You add inspiration and love to every bit of your home, and your life.

Theresa said...

Peg, Thank you. Said home is about to be torn up this month too. New tile!

Michelle, The minute I saw that beach washed grey I knew it was the Goldilocks frame...just right!

Leigh, I love seeing their names there, all of them. The book is well worth the wait, honestly it is well worth the Audible price IMHO. I like Audible as a service all in all.

LA, Buttercup is certainly a very fun loom. I so enjoy the ease of standing, thinking and still producing a wonderful interesting fabric in plain weave.

Cindie, It DOES make me smile. I can't wait to weave on her most days and it would seem, the warps get prepared PDQ for her. The next one is almost ready. It will be on this weekend for sure.

Susan said...

I think that is the most wonderful idea - to be surrounded by reminders of furry loves, past and present. I would bet that everything that comes off Buttercup will be a joy. How is the reader on this series? I rely almost solely on audible or audio cds these days.

Valerie said...

Your loom makes me think of an altar. Fitting...because I do think of sitting at my loom as a sacred space.