Monday, November 6, 2017

The Same but Different!

I have a lot of ideas that I keep on Pinterest. They provide endless inspiration for when I get bogged down. A little detail here, a design idea I can incorporate, an awesome weaving draft. Really that's what Pinterest is about, a place to park ideas. This one has been niggling me for quite a while now. I relented on the last cutting jag, grabbed some screaming orange Japanese linen and went to town. How perfect that the selvage edges where nicely decorated in a deep royal blue. I made use of them through the whole garment and saved some time on hemming I might add. I used my frankenpattern of a Scout Tee and an Indigo Junction tunic and came up with this. It looked like a hot mess for quite a while and flipping through those layers was a bugger,



 but I couldn't be more pleased with the end result.





It's everything I love in a piece of clothing. Nice fabric, great color and interesting but not too overwrought design and I think, flattering.



 I felt pretty good stepping out Saturday night with Gene to take my Mom out for dinner.

Also out of the sewing salon was a fun Sewing Workshop Liberty Shirt. I make one of these at least once a year.



 It's a nice pattern and is a lot of fun to make. Usually I hit the linen shelf for this but I wanted something more colorful and playful.



 This lightweight cotton canvas in a print named "Juicy" was just the ticket. Just because we are coming into winter, doesn't mean drab colors!

The bumblebee warp is wound and waiting to be beamed on the Ziva David loom. I'm just starting to thread the hemp/linen bath towel warp on the Macomber and scanning drafts for the Louet Spring.



We spent last Thursday and Friday buttoning down the hatches for our first snow. The goats got bedding in their little hutch in the run in shed, the heater for the water tank got hooked up and dropped in, wood has been split and stacked in the shed, shovels found and placed in appropriate places etc. Let the winter begin! For the wildlife it is hard times, but I am happy to report we've had some interesting pre-dawn sightings. Not one, not two, but three grey foxes spied together which confirms my suspicion that they are siblings hanging together this first winter. Momma raccoon brought back all 3 of her brood to pirate one of my feeders. All adult size now, fat, furry and healthy looking. I'm betting they will den together this first winter.  Lastly, I saw an owl flying out of my barn Saturday morning. Likely a Barred Owl, or a Western Screech Owl. It was silent, large and ghostly as it sailed forth from inside my barn and out of my light beam in a blink of an eye. Any day you see an owl is a good day!

This posts song is a farewell to an all too short fall. Enjoy! Holidays are just around the corner....

Parting shot: The two bricks, red and gold!

10 comments:

Kim said...

I love the shirt. I too am a fan of clothing a bit different, a bit avant grade, a bit colorful. It turned out well. We don't expect winter for a while here, though the temp will fall quite low on the weekend....it won't last though. I like the snow, wish we would get more.

Anna H said...

Love that orange color and how you put the patterns together, a definite win!

LA said...

Interesting use of those selvedges. I'll have to be on the lookout for any in my stash! Owl sighting? Lucky you!!

Cindie said...

Great new additions to the wardrobe.

Susan said...

I love that color! So glad the wildlife is back - what a relief that must be. I am not quite ready for the onslaught of winter, but I am gaining. Love your bricks...

Peg Cherre said...

I love the orange linen, too!

I used to catch an owl - regularly by sound, occasionally by sight - when I lived in the sticks, but not now in the city. My old neighborhood had plenty of barred owls and a smattering of barn owls, with a sometimes eastern screech owl and a VERY rare great horned owl. I only saw one of those once, and it was AMAZING!

Theresa said...

Peg, We have a lot of owls but they are rarely seen here. There is 98,000 acres of monument for them to use. I'm thinking the new "fields" created next door with the clear cut will attract more of them.

Susan, Those are a pair of expensive bricks! ;-) Yes, the wildlife knows where the handouts are so to speak. Orange might be my second favorite color, but then again, I like a lot of colors.

Cindie, Thank you and fun to wear.

LA, I love pretty selvages and try to use them with a lot of my sewing. I even save them in a jar for something that has plain Jane ones.

AnnaH, SO good to hear from you and thank you. The fabric was from the last sale at FOV and I bought the bolt. Used every bit of it too.

KIm, It's so much more fun to sew what you want isn't it? BTW, I added your beautiful website to my list at the right. My god you do some gorgeous quilting!

Tobie said...

That shirt is fabulous and I love the printing on the selvedge and the fact that you emphasize it!

Martha said...

What a fabulous frankenpattern that is. I'm crazy about it. And the Liberty is my all-time fave. Love all the cheerful color.

Mary said...

Fantastic work, and such rich, warm colors. I love the layers.