Friday, October 26, 2018

Paint, Pairing Down and Packages

I'm starting with packages first. Bombs!! OMFG! I don't care who you voted for, if you are still with this so called president and his messages of hate, I can, at this point, only assume that this is who you really are too. It is said that good people voted for the cheeto and that may be, but if you are still supporting him and those spineless cheats in the GOP, I for one, do not consider you "good people". I can't imagine being so greedy and fearful and selfish that anyone would allow a wannabe third rate dictator to continue to run this country. As the meme says, "Hate never made any nation great." Get off your butt and vote next Tuesday, your nation and Democracy depends on it.

Okay, onto painting. Oil paints are a bugger to deal with but the results are so worth it in the durability department and my kitchen is as hard working as the next.





 They say they have latex paints that are just as good. They are not. The kitchen isn't quite finished. I have another bank of cabinets to do, and the fresh new wall color to put on, which will be latex but here are some pics as it is now.






Even the dogs have a little artwork over their water bowl.
The realtors tell you not to paint your cabinets red, it lowers the value. Unless you know your house is going on the market I just can't imagine decorating for some unknown person. I love red, I love orange and I love the new look. I mean who doesn't move into a new house and want to put their own colors in anyway? Next year it may be time to replace the wood countertops, not the butcher block but the fir ones. I would love a solid surface type but maybe I'll go for all maple? We'll see.

I paired down a lot of stuff out of the kitchen, and a lot of glassware and dishes. I am changing over my green and white vintage restaurant ware to vintage stoneware. I picked out a pattern I loved and have been scanning Etsy and eBay for it. For anyone interested, the pattern is Midwinter's Stonehenge Wild Oats. Paint colors I've used have mostly been from the newer Magnolia Collection. The red is "Vine Ripened Tomato", the upper cabinets are "Soft Linen", the walls will be "Cinnamon Sugar" and lastly the island is from our local Miller Paint and is a Color Guild color "Heat of Summer". I know many of you loved the 40's jadeite kinda green, but my kitchen has been one shade or green or another since we built the house and it was really time for a change.

And speaking of changes. I finally convinced my Mom to move into the "residential living" area of the Rogue Valley Manor. It offers much more assistance and oversight. She still has a lovely one bedroom apartment still although a bit smaller. She has no stove there, just a microwave and fridge but all three of her meals are provided and if she doesn't feel like it going down to eat, they have tray service. I think it will be perfect for the duration and easy enough for hospice to manage when the time comes too. So, I am working on getting her move lined up and coaxing her to pair down clothes and such as we can for this next move.

There has been precious little creative stuff going on. I did manage to finish up a lovely new wool crepe kimono. The collar is a piece of handprinted silk. These were both sale pieces of fabric, the 3 yards of wool a hefty 10 bucks, the silk, $5. I'm considering this my new robe. Why not? ;-)



 I can hand wash it easily enough. I do have a lovely plaid shirt in process. Cuffs on and this morning I will finally have time to do snaps and hems! I think I'm going to take a painting break this weekend. Cook, sew, weave and hang with the kids.

But while I wasn't as creative this past week or so, someone was.



 This nifty stained glass piece found a place in my weaving studio. I see it while I wind my own threads.



I'm leaving you all with this, an anthem as prescient today as it was in 1964.

Parting shot: Some days you just want to stay in bed.

14 comments:

Theresa said...

Let me open up the comments for you all, good or bad.:-)

Cindie said...

Love the new kitchen colors! Nice stoneware choice too - will keep an eye out for it when going in antique shops.

Love that you speak your mind politically too. The state of what's going on these days is very frightening and sad for our country.

Leigh said...

I love your kitchen colors. LOVE them! I agree that I don't understand decorating for some nameless someone years down the road that *might* want something different. I'm here, and I'm painting the whole darned thing purple if I choose! To heck with hotel-approved sand, eggshell and light taupe. Blech.

I gave up long ago thinking trumphumpers are nice people. They are not. 'Nice people' are not willing to excuse or overlook any ONE of the following, much less all of them: sexual assault, racism, putting children in cages, making fun of the disabled, or ruining the environment. Greedy, small-minded, ignorant power-hungry hateful people are willing to overlook it all to get theirs and screw everyone else. So that's the difference.

And now we have bombs. ugh.

Michelle said...

As much as I believe my God is in control and will mete out justice in His time (SOON), I do think the state of affairs here and around the globe weighs more heavily on my psyche than I can measure. There is just so much evil; I'm continually horror-struck by our so-called leaders and my heart is shattered repeatedly by the news. And don't get me started on the fear-mongering!

On a more positive note, that is a FANTISTIC little leaded glass piece! I might have to try to replicate that someday, if I ever get my stained glass equipment set up to use again. I should have asked for the window I made my dad; I wonder what happened to that....

Theresa said...

Cindie,
I love that set. I scanned all over Medford but if you see an everyday piece in your travels in very good condition grab it or send me a pic and a price! ;-)

Leigh,
I adore the colors myself. I was unsure when I picked them out and DH kind of made a face, but he likes it all now. The new wall color will pop it all I think.

Michelle, You have hidden talents. Please let us all know when you start in on stained glass. I love the medium myself and I love that little spider. I think I'll call him Boris. I need a Charlotte though too....

Michelle said...

Not hidden, just sidelined. By life, parenting, wool in all its forms....

Peg Cherre said...

I, too, love the Vine Ripened Tomato cabinets. Can't wait to see what Cinnamon Sugar looks like! Your new dishes, when you find them, will be a great fit.

That kimono is a stunner - and sure was a great price.

Sounds like you got a good fit for mom. I hope she'll settle in nicely.

beckster said...

Thank you for this post! I found it all very positive and encouraging, well except for the part about he who shall not be named, but it needed saying. I love your kitchen! I have bought and sold a lot of houses in my day, and while the majority of people do like a totally beige house, I have never had trouble selling a house due to paint colors that could be changed. In fact, I have had people fall in love with my decorating. And besides, we have to live and enjoy our safe places! I love your kitchen. I anxiously await the finished pictures. I love the kimono, and yes, it should be your robe. Why would you save it and what for? Good news about getting your mom settled as well. You have a lot of good things going on, enjoy it! I have already voted on the first day of early voting, just in case I got hit by a car or something. Ha ha ha

garnet128 said...

I am awestruck by your level of energy and productiveness. And so many creative outlets, all so impressive. And you still have time to blog about it.

Carol in Denver said...

Even while the current government creates and promotes ugliness, your valiant spirit is creating beauty and cheer. It is distressing to learn that people I thought were well educated and nice are supporters of the cheeto and his "accessory tyrants." It is important to know of others who see these despicable evil ones for what they are; thank you for speaking out. And thank you for creating beauty. Vote vote vote vote vote vote vote vote (8 "votes": 8 is a number of re-birth; baptismal fonts are 8-sided.)

farmer's wife weaving said...

The kitchen is just awesome, I agree we should decorate and paint our homes to please us not some unknown person in the future. The kimono is simply beautiful, the silk piece adds so much to the overall look. I always admire your sewing projects, one of these days I just might sit down and sew something of my own.

Pets for the crew and for Mr. Special (he knows who he is) ;-)

Theresa said...

Martha, I will let you know who, his staunchest fan passes along pets and biscuits! ;-)

Carol, 8 it is and thank you! Some days it is hard to get creative juices going, but then, you do.

garnet128, I have to admit, my blogging time has been cut down somewhat, but we'll get back to something a little more regular I'm sure. If I didn't have the creative outlets I would sit and watch news all day! Horrors!!!

beckster, Getting my Mom into new digs in the more assisted living area is a GREAT relief and she is excited abut it. Thank you Universe for that small comfort. I'm pleased as punch with the colors. I think the wall color and some fresh painted white moulding with really pop.

Peg, It's hard not to love a color named Vine Ripened Tomatoes. :-)

Michelle, Yep, all those things certainly do dictate a certain rearrangement of energy, but lucky you with all that beautiful wool, both on and off the hoof!

LA said...

I early voted the first week it was open!!! The political ads are ugly here! But, your kitchen is a sight to behold...love the colors! And, since you're the one living in your house, it should be the colors that make YOU happy! The pups have it right: snuggle up!

Umer said...

where is your KitchenAid Stand Mixer i can find in pics