Monday, July 2, 2018

Hit or Miss

Let's start with all the good "hits". The LeClerc warping mill arrived Friday.



 Due to its size the USPS will be adding a zip code up here in the Greensprings. Seriously, this is one big badass warping mill and it works BEAUTIFULLY.



 Where I hated the smallness and funky range of the Harrisville mill, this one is big and roomy and sturdy allowing for free wheeling arm movement and large enough that I can use it for shorter warps accessing only that sweet spot where you are neither reaching up nor stooping. It has a name. Master Kilvin and those that have read the Kingkiller Chronicles will be familiar with character.

Master Kilvin has earned his own special embellishment

Mongo has his new warp beam apron installed and the friction brake. Seems to work well but Gene said he would adjust if needed once I got a warp on and was using it in real life.



And of course, the 16 yard blanket warp is now in process. I'll be doing a canvas weave on 4 shafts, 48" wide in 4/2 natural cotton with a sett of 12 epi. Since these will be seamed blankets I'll balance the pattern on one side. I need to learn to crochet since I might want to do a fancy edging.

I'm finishing up Buttercups placemat warp and thinking about log cabin rugs.

A win was a long sleeve version of the Style Arc Teddy tunic.



It's getting hot for this now but I sure love the fabric/pattern combo.



 Just what I had in mind. A couple more sleeveless Rose blouses have been cut, another Style Arc pattern, a long sleeved button down boyfriend shirt in classic white and this Jalie scrub pattern that I'm doing a test run through for my favorite vet clinic peeps.



I waited over a month for these pretty fabrics to come from India.





 The prices were decent and they are certainly different from the usual stuff I can procure easily. The blue with roses was one of the fabrics I grabbed for the sleeveless blouses.

Now for the miss. I had high hopes for the Style Arc Jodie dress. The details were cute, it had a real late 60's early 70's vibe and I could see this as a jumper with tights and boots come fall. Alas what I ended up with was a zippered tube.



 The top is too large, the bottom too narrow.



If I had my late 60's/early 70's body this might work, but not so much now..... I had a good laugh though and other than the zipper (which has been in stash for at least 4 years...), this was leftover fabric from something else. I still like many of the details, so it is easy enough to raise the armholes, take a bit of ease out of the top portion and grade out for hips on the lower portion. I'm going to give it another shot as a shorter tunic and see if that works out for me. If the Style Arc Boyfriend shirt is a fail, I'm probably going to hold off buying anymore from them.

We have some new residents around Runamuck. For the first time we hear and have seen Mourning Doves. I've never seen them up this high but surprise, this year we have a pair! I have also spied (a number of times this early summer), a Common Nightjar. I catch his eyes in my headlamp, usually on the ground. They are HUGE orange red eyes. If I get too close it will take off. It likes the cleared areas in the paddock. Maybe pirating seed chafe and such from the hay? Or maybe it just likes hanging with the horses!

We have a skunk too that is jostling with the Grey Foxes and Raccoons for fallen sunflower seed.
Him I see as a moving black tail in the tail grass. I got a little close the first night I spied his movement, trying to see what it was. When I realized what I was looking at I gave Pepe all the space he wanted. ;-)

Sending you onto the holiday week with a little Beatles. Have a safe and fun 4th of July. Myself I'm going to reflect on what a flipping mess the Orange Asshat has made of this country in under two years and how it can be fixed. I hope it can be fixed.......I pray it can be fixed and maybe, just maybe improved upon.

Parting shot: Practicing for those hot summer days.

18 comments:

Theresa said...

First comment I'm hitting "notify" so hopefully I'll get e-mailed when you all comment!

farmer's wife weaving said...

Love the fabrics that came from India, especially the golden color piece. Jack my dear heart, you are getting greyer with each passing day (I am too).

Susan said...

So, when do you sleep, if ever? I have visions of you going from loom to loom, pattern to pattern. I love the first tunic in that fabric! I fear it will take decades to undo all the damage inflicted by that idiot. But, I, too, hope it CAN be undone. Over the winter, I had at least 14 mourning doves - I call them the Hoovers... Love to all your furry dolls.

Theresa said...

Martha, It's linen with prayer blessings on it. It is a lovely piece of fabric. Jack is getting lighter isn't he. His ears are still a deep russet as is his ruff.

Theresa said...

Susan, well some days I do that, but mostly I work on one or two looms per day. Sometimes the same looms sometimes not. No overseer here with a whip, yet. Our hoovers are Cooper and Dandy or any of the dogs because nothing but lettuce is ever left on the floor...

Michelle said...

Lovely top, that first one! That looks like a Mongo warping mill. A friend is doing her evil best to lure me into weaving as she falls down the rabbit hole, but I'm still not tempted. Happy to be spinning more, though; TdF, here I come! Then to get my knitting mojo back. How's your mom? (Sorry; still haven't made deodorant. Had to buy more ingredients and need to find an opaque thread-lid container.)

mrsmole said...

Can you just open the side seams of the Jody dress and call it a tunic to wear over pants? It is darling and the pockets look very practical! Your passion for weaving just takes my breath away! Our yard has been overrun with nesting and breeding doves and quail but thankfully no skunks! Your new fabrics are so interesting. Do you have a link for the Indian website?

Theresa said...

Michelle, I'm good with the deodorant, so when you get to it is just fine! You can always come here for a visit and throw a shuttle on a few looms and see if it suits. Weaving can be as simple as a rigid heddle loom or as complicated as I seem to make it and more!

Theresa said...

mrsmole, I shaved those seams pretty dang close and this particular line unravels like crazy. Not worth the effort. I also didn't like the zipper against my skin. You have an awesome garden. If I were a bird I would want to be there too.
The Delhi Store is the India fabric purveyor.
https://www.etsy.com/shop/theDelhiStore

mrsmole said...

Thank you for the link! as you know having a garden is almost as much work as bridal sewing! Ha ha

Linda said...

Sounds like the story of my Life, too big on top, too tight in the hips. Master Kelvin is serious business! Love the teddy tunic.

LA said...

The warping mill sure is easier on your shoulders, I think. Just don't get dizzy!!!! The Teddy tunic turned out great! Love the accents. Be sure to give Pepe LOTS of room when you take the pups out before bedtime!!!!!

Peg Cherre said...

I LOVE my warping mill. So much so that I sold my warping board, after it sitting in my way for a few years. My mill is a mishmash of handmade parts, and one of the things I love about it is that it collapses into a very flat space very easily, so moves out of the way any time it's not being used.

We don't have nightjars in the east --- at least not in my part of the world. I googled them and got very varied reactions...some indicating that it's a single bird, others that it's a group of birds that sing at night. Hmmmmm....

Theresa said...

Linda, The mill really is a wondrous thing. It is as wide as the Rio Grande loom and as high.

Theresa said...

LA, I love the mill, the vertical wind on is faster than horizontal I think. Both reels work well but I'm faster on the vertical and this of course, winds 4 yards at a turn. Thank god for chain link fencing! Skunks and everything else avoids the dog pen. Walks are cautious things.

Theresa said...

Peg, Nighthawk might yield a bit more information. Here is some from Oregon
https://myodfw.com/wildlife-viewing/species/nighthawks-and-swifts
Now, the Whip-poor-will might be in the same family and I'm pretty sure they are plentiful back east!
The mill flattens but the stand would have to be taken apart to make him underbid flat. I can store him in the space behind Buttercup. I always stand to the side to move the warp forward, so he will only have to be moved when winding on. I love my custom made board too, for small warps while I sit in my desk chair.

ElleC said...

I agree with Susan. Do you ever sleep? I have wondered so many times how you get everything done. I always feel alternately inspired and inadequate by your posts 8-).

Having had a dog meet up with Pepe once (in my fully fenced backyard???) I highly recommend having deskunking ingredients on hand at all times. Dawn, hydrogen peroxide and baking soda. Works really really well. Tomato juice, not so much.

http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/dogs/tips/de-skunking_dog.html

Janet W said...

If you love the Beatles, have you watched the James Corden/Paul McCartney Car Karaoke? Brought tears to my eyes. It's on YouTube.