Sunday, August 12, 2018

We Like Being Read To Too.

Personally I am starting to think Audible is the best thing since I had a pair of doting Grandparents. I can still hear them reading One Fish Two Fish and Suki A Little Tiger. Now having an adult book with an adult reader is not quite the same thing but close. And some of those narrators are so good it is truly, like you are there. In a round about way this is a book post, but it is also a narration post, because they have elevated my recent "reads" at least 2 fold. Okay, For those that like true life fiction, this is not your post. I am deeply immersed in fantasy worlds both new and old and am likely to stay there except to come out for CJ Samson's new book next year.  I also have no idea if these books are as enjoyable to read as they are to listen too. That's up to you if you want to try them out on some medium, print, Kindle or an Audible type application. Disclaimer done.

First up is the Raven's Shadow series by Anthony Ryan. The books in order are Blood Song, Tower Lord and Queen of Fire. These are in no way YA books. Adult themes, language and violence. The characters are great, the world building amazing. Think Game of Thrones instead of Harry Potter. The reading by Steven Brand very, very good. The hours flowed out as each of these books is like 20 something of them. I will say the last book was not near as good as the first or the second but it was good enough and I enjoyed it.

Next up is another trilogy by Garth Nix and these are YA works and so damn good I was literally white knuckled on the edge of my seat in many parts. I can tell you that more than 10 times I did another 30 minutes on the timer at night instead of going to sleep. The series is The Abhorsen Trilogy/ books of the Old Kingdom and starts with Sabriel, then Lirael and lastly Abhorsen. There are more dealing with the Old Kingdom, another two have been added to the series, Clariel as a prequel which I'm into now and a fifth Goldenhand along with a number of short story collections. They will be coming soon to my Audible library. Tim Curry was the narrator of the first three and oh my, it was PERFECTION! He also narrates the Lemony Snicket and other children and classic titles. Some of which may make it to my device just because he is so good. Certainly A Christmas Carol when the holidays roll around.

That's been pretty much it on the book front. I can listen and sew or weave so some of each has gotten done. I cut out stuff this weekend. The last classic shirt pattern to try by Liesl & Me, a couple of scrubs for the vet clinic and I have a kimono jacket pattern and fabric picked out for cutting.
The looms are all seeing a fair amount of action. The two towel warps have been worked on, sheep and dark natural brown one. The blanket warp has seen the most weaving time and the little Piccolo loom found it's way into the back loom room



and it has seen at least a couple of feet woven on that long warp.
Buttercup is in process on her rug warp.



 I'm  finishing that up today when I can get Gene to double as a warping valet. These open rug warps ( 10 ends per inch -epi) roll on easily with little grab or resistance. I do love a good counterbalance loom which brings me to a request, if anyone has or knows of someone wanting to divest themselves of either a LeClerc Fanny or Mira loom, within say a two to three hour drive of the Rogue Valley, I'm actively looking. I might even be willing to trade a 40" 12 shaft Macomber if someone is looking for more shafts. Anyway, it's out there!

 Oh and there was canning in there too. Another batch of Nectarine Lime Jam rolled out



and yesterday a big batch of Blueberry Maple Syrup. YUM! I'm officially out of some supplies so will have to get to town for more lids at least, rings certainly and probably jars.

Song for today is in tribute to all the fantasy readers waiting for that last book to the series. Patrick Rothfuss, I'm talking to YOU!

Parting shots: Tummies MUST be Rubbed!


You're getting sleepy....

13 comments:

Theresa said...


First comment and oh my isn't Robin just the cutest little brat ever?

Leigh said...

Ha, ha, love those tummy shots! I have to agree about audio books. They are absolutely wonderful for any kind of hand work and driving. It's the only way my husband "reads!" Also have to say that your nectarine lime jam sounds really good.

Michelle said...

I got an audio book from the library and never started it....

Lynne K said...

Canning sounds good. Do you ever share your recipes?

Theresa said...

Tummy shots are a perennial favorite for sure, and Master Robin has a very alluring little tummy with it's silly "dirt" spots. Nectarine Lime Jam is easy and fast. No peeling needed like peach jam.

Theresa said...

Sigh.....take the plunge! :-)

Theresa said...

I do Lynne and will make a note next post to share both those recipes with proper credit where due.

Susan said...

Mind meld!!!! I was just thinking how much better Audible makes my life (especially the god-awful commute). I am listening to a riveting memoir and am ripe for new reading-to-me experiences. I might just dip my toe into fantasy - which do you suggest? Ah, the lure of the tummies - and such a cute one with those speckles...

LA said...

I use hand weights to keep even tension on the bouts as I wind on the warp. Just make a slip knot and slide the weight in the loop. It might take longer than having a helper, but it gets the job done. Cyber tummy rubs sent.......

Theresa said...

Oh, that's a tough one. First choice would be Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss, second choice and shorter, would be Sabriel by Garth Nix. I know I can loan you one and maybe both via Audible.

Theresa said...

I have bottle weights (bottles filled with water) but was feeling lazy since it is faster with Gene. Didn't work out. Some asshat started a fire up here using an illegal campfire. Good GRIEF. Gene was gone well into the evening working the water trucks.

Retired Knitter said...

I love audio books. I am much more productive around the house if I have a book filling my ears!!

Theresa said...

I forgot to add they are a must now in the car. I have a long drive down the mountain and having a book being read to me is a wondrous thing. I love my car bluetooth to bits!