Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Look, Up in the Sky, It's Some Nut!


It was a busy weekend around here. I was hoofing along alone while DH took off for a trip up to Seaside OR to go paramotoring. Oh yes, folks, there is a certain flavor of nut that likes to strap on a lawnmower motor and jet around the sky with their para wing on. And I have one of those. He had a blast and showed up back on the doorstep at 3:30am Monday morning just as I was getting all the house critters fed. There was a lot of noise and excitement at both the arrival of feeding time and "Papa's" arrival.

So while Gene flew the friendly coastal skies of Oregon ( and saw whales) I did a little weaving. Having finished up the first pillowcase, started in on the second.


This one I decided to do a pale green for the weft and stay in pattern for the hem area, then of course, the 20/2 cream for the body of the case. At this update I have about 10 inches of cream body woven.


Wrote out some prayers for the warp waiting on the Julia loom, knitted a bit on the vest and waited for hay to arrive. And arrive it did. 14 tons have been delivered and stacked in my barn and all I had to do was write out a check. Easy peasy for me, but Gene usually sheds a tear or two. ;) This year we went with all second cutting and all small bales. One bale fits perfectly in the front end loader of Bob the tractor and is just right to feed out each meal. MUCH nicer than wrestling those 125# bales from last year. I did a happy dance, the horses did a happy dance, the goats did a happy dance. Gene was gone flying and avoided it all together. I brought up buckets of loose hay for a little snack while they unloaded to an audience of 10 ( 5 horses, 5 goats).

I will admit that Sunday I did a lot of football watching and a fair amount of reading, so rather than go through scores, I'll give you a run down on the current reading list.
In process is "Rosa" By Jonathan Nabb and after a rocky start I am finally into the book and enjoying it.
Finished and enjoyed was "Death in a Strange Country" by Donna Leon and is the start of a series of detective mysteries set in Venice Italy. The second in the series is already on my Kindle waiting to be read. Also read are two period mysteries written by C. S. Harris, "When Gods Die" and "What Angels Fear". I enjoyed both these series mysteries set in the early 1800's (Regency period) in England and there are more to be read!
Stacked up either on the Kindle or on the wish list, are the following books:
A Dog's Purpose by W. Bruce Cameron
A Small Furry Prayer: Dog Rescue and the Meaning of Life by Steven Kotler
The Tenth Parallel: Dispatches from the Fault Line Between Christianity and Islam by Eliza Griswold
Empire of the Summer Moon by S.C. Gwynne
Marie Antoinette: The Journey by Antonia Fraser.
All the books listed here are available at Amazon even though I didn't do individual links.

Before I forget (again) I wanted to show you all this little charmer of a knitting book, Whimsical Knits 2 by Ysolda Teague.


Since I do seem to be spinning a little more and have some wonderful fibers/yarns available in smaller amounts, these patterns really appealed to me.
Lastly, Parting Shots.


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the pale green lace border. Those are going to be stunning pillowcases.

LA said...

LOVE the parting shot!!!! Your reading list is amazing...I have a stack on the bedside table I'm working through, too. The pillowcases are lovely. Can't wait to see them on the bed!

Life Looms Large said...

Great Stella shot!!

The pillowcases look great. I'm weaving lace towels right now....trying to finish a towel each day. (Gotta start blogging that when I have time!)

Glad the sky flying went OK!!!

Sue

Leigh said...

Mmm, did somebody get a puppy treat???

That's a pretty impressive reading list. I'm so slow, my entire summer list consisted of only one book.

bspinner said...

Your pillow cases are very pretty.

Stella's getting cuter all the time.

Long Ridge Farm said...

Wow your DH is some kind of super hero, flying through the sky! I couldn't watch!

Lovely weaving...cutest pup!

Sharon said...

How do we come to our sports affinities anyway? I grew up watching baseball with my father and can still hear Curt Gowdy in my head. Thankfully Ian is also a baseball fan - it's a wonderful sport to knit to. I'm looking forward to Wednesday - 1st game of the World Series - I have much knitting ready to go.

When I think of Seaside, I think of the Pacific Bakery in Gearhart - you're so lucky.